Skin color gene identified (NYT and Science report)

In summary: This is definitely something to think about! Better yet, imagine in a few years being able to fully reconstruct the visual appearance of an individual just from the DNA.This is definitely something to think about!
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/science/16gene.html

Yesterday's issue of Science magazine, and this article in the 16 December NY Times report that a major determinant of skin color is a single gene which has been located

reportedly 99 pecent of European caucasians have one allele, one variant of the gene, and some 93 percent of subsaharan Africans have another variant.

I haven't seen the Science article, maybe someone who has can make this more precise. What I see in the NY Times doesn't quite make sense to me and I would like to hear some elaboration.

Biology news on Phys.org
This the abstract of the science article. A subscription is required for getting the full article.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/310/5755/1782

iansmith said:
This the abstract of the science article. A subscription is required for getting the full article.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/short/310/5755/1782

Hi Ian, I remember you as especially informed and objective from earlier discussions. I don't get in here much.

I was wondering. Can you indicate what the scientific significance of this might be?

I cannot see much importance. the gene does seem to be a race marker----something where 99 percent of a european caucasian population has one allele and over 90 percent of a subsaharan black population has the other allele.

I suppose the discovery might find application in some kind of "designer baby" technology----if kookie parents wanted their child to have, say, dark skin and blond hair and blue eyes, then they could presumably have some laboratory switch the allele at just one site. the results might be startling, perhaps disturbingly beautiful.

but these are kind of trivial consequences, it seems to me, in science terms.

do you think of any advantage in science terms of having identified this site?

Last edited:
I didn't look at the paper yet, but imagine the benefit for forensic investigations.

Monique said:
I didn't look at the paper yet, but imagine the benefit for forensic investigations.

Better yet, imagine in a few years being able to fully reconstruct the visual appearance of an individual just from the DNA.

Related to Skin color gene identified (NYT and Science report)

1. What is the significance of identifying the skin color gene?

Identifying the skin color gene can help us better understand the genetic basis of skin color and its variation among different populations. This can also potentially lead to advancements in medical treatments for skin conditions and diseases related to pigmentation.

2. How was the skin color gene identified?

The skin color gene was identified through a comprehensive study by a team of scientists who analyzed the genomes of over 10,000 individuals from diverse populations. They looked for genetic variations that were strongly associated with skin color and found a specific gene, called SLC24A5, that played a major role in determining skin color.

3. Is skin color determined by only one gene?

No, skin color is influenced by multiple genes and environmental factors. The gene SLC24A5 is just one of many that contribute to skin color, and its role varies depending on an individual's genetic background.

4. Can the skin color gene be used to predict an individual's skin color?

While the SLC24A5 gene is strongly associated with skin color, it cannot be used as the sole predictor of an individual's skin color. Other genetic and environmental factors also play a role, and there is still much variation within populations.

5. How does this discovery impact our understanding of race and skin color?

This discovery highlights the complex and multifactorial nature of skin color, challenging the idea that race is a biologically determined concept. It also serves as a reminder that our genetic makeup is diverse and unique, and there is no one gene or set of genes that can accurately define our racial identity.