Skills needed to be an engineer/Career outlook

• Engineering
  • Thread starter stjimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, most engineers I know tinker and are not interested in math and science in high school. It's not a prerequisite, but you do get a lot of understanding and useful skills from tinkering. With the right attitude and work ethic, you can improve your creative problem solving abilities.
stjimmy
Hi
What skills do you think are most imporant to an engineer?
Do you think the career out look is good?

I am about to gradute high school and I am interested in engineering and other science/math related things. I am good at math and science and creative/analytical which I hear are very imporant to an engineer.
I want to know how things work but i don't really tinker or have a very mechincal personality.I am more into theory than I thought a engineer would be but I don't know.Very analytical problem solver though.I might also consider physics or computer science maybe something else i don't know becuase I have broad interests.I want to be able to get a good job but with all I hear about outsourcing I don't know about it. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
While a good background in maths and science is pretty fundamental to an engineer, you'll find that maths and the sciences are mere tools which you'll be exploiting. Other crucial skills include creative problem solving abilities, good interpersonal skills, and in this day and age, a willingness to manage people.

Most of the engineers I know tinkered. I'm struggling to think of an engineer I know who didn't tinker. Don't let this put you off, it's not a prerequisite, but you do get a lot of understanding and useful skills from tinkering.

Finally, nobody's going to tell you what's best for you. I'd suggest you get a bit of work experience, - a fortnight of this was enough to put me off electrical engineering for life! Finding out what you definitely don't want to do is almost as good as finding out what you definitely do.

Do you really think being a tinker and hands-on is really important?
I mean i like the idea of design and all that yet I just don't tinker that much.

stjimmy said:
Do you really think being a tinker and hands-on is really important?
I mean i like the idea of design and all that yet I just don't tinker that much.

I'm going to be a junior electrical engineering major, and I never "tinkered". I was always very interested in computers and electronics, however. It's definitely not a prerequisite, it's just a common trend. I was also not interested in math and science in high school... I grew to fond of each my first year of college. If you want to be an engineer, be an engineer. If you want to be a physicist, go for it. Don't worry about what's common, it's a good thing to be unusual.

I have a few friends who are electrical engineers, most of them don't know how to solder or trouble shoot a broken device. They also have no interest in learning that sort of thing.

brewnog said:
While a good background in maths and science is pretty fundamental to an engineer, you'll find that maths and the sciences are mere tools which you'll be exploiting. Other crucial skills include creative problem solving abilities, good interpersonal skills, and in this day and age, a willingness to manage people.

Most of the engineers I know tinkered. I'm struggling to think of an engineer I know who didn't tinker. Don't let this put you off, it's not a prerequisite, but you do get a lot of understanding and useful skills from tinkering.

Finally, nobody's going to tell you what's best for you. I'd suggest you get a bit of work experience, - a fortnight of this was enough to put me off electrical engineering for life! Finding out what you definitely don't want to do is almost as good as finding out what you definitely do.
How important is the creative problems solving abilities?
I'm currently enrolled in an Intro to Engineering course at a local community college. I had huge trouble coming up with creative design, like, at all.
Is there any way to improve this skill?
If so, how?
All the other stuff I have, and/or am able to develop.

I'm also going to try and get an intern in Engineering (either electrical or mechanical), or something to see what it's like.

Last edited:
Work ethic.

aerospaceut10 said:
Work ethic.

Was that a reply to the original post, or to mine?

To the original question.

what kind of job we will offered in this eng

Related to Skills needed to be an engineer/Career outlook

What skills are needed to be an engineer?

To be a successful engineer, you need a combination of technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and soft skills. Some specific skills that are important for engineers include strong mathematical and analytical skills, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, the ability to think critically and creatively, and effective communication skills.

What is the career outlook for engineers?

The career outlook for engineers is generally positive, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is about as fast as the average for all occupations. The demand for engineers is driven by the need for new infrastructure, technology advancements, and environmental sustainability.

Do engineers need to continue learning and developing new skills?

Yes, it is crucial for engineers to continue learning and developing new skills throughout their careers. Technology and industries are constantly evolving, and engineers need to stay updated on the latest developments and techniques to remain competitive in the job market. Continuing education, attending conferences and workshops, and obtaining certifications are all ways to continue learning as an engineer.

What are some important soft skills for engineers?

In addition to technical skills, soft skills are also crucial for engineers. Some important soft skills for engineers include teamwork and collaboration, adaptability and flexibility, time management and organizational skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients. These skills are essential for working effectively in a team and delivering successful projects.

What are some tips for preparing for a career as an engineer?

Some tips for preparing for a career as an engineer include taking challenging math and science courses in high school, participating in hands-on projects and internships, researching different engineering fields to find your interests, and networking with professionals in the industry. It is also essential to develop strong study habits and time management skills to succeed in a rigorous engineering program.