Skiing both ways conservation of energy/1D kinematic

In summary, the skier's velocity at the bottom of the valley is 29.7 m/s and at the top of the second hill is 9.9 m/s. The sign of g depends on the defined positive direction, and while its magnitude stays the same, it affects velocity differently depending on the direction of movement.
J827
skiing both ways...conservation of energy/1D kinematic

Homework Statement

A skier starts from rest at the top of a 45.0-m-high hill, skis down a 30° incline into a valley, and continues up a 40.0-m-high hill. The heights of both hills are measured from the valley floor. Assume that friction is negligible and ignore the effect of the ski poles.

a. How fast is the skier moving at the bottom of the valley?

b. What is the skier’s speed at the top of the second hill?

Homework Equations

Equation A
KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf

or

Equation B
vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the angle is irrelevant because only gravity is affecting his movement.

I understand part a. Using Equation A, initial KE and final PE are zero. Final velocity is 30m/s. I get the same answer using Equation B. I confirmed this answer with the solution manual.

I am getting stuck on part b. Here is what I have tried so far:

Option 1a:
starting from the valley, using Equation A
Initial PE = 0, because you are in the valley.
Mass factors out of equation because is in three remaining terms.

(0.5 * 302) = (0.5 * Vf2) + (9.8 * 40)
vf = 10.8 m/s

Option 1b:
same as 1a, but using -9.8 since he's going in a different direction
vf = 41 m/s

Option 2:
starting from the valley, using Equation B
vf2 = (302) + (2 * -9.8 * 40)
vf = 10.8 m/s

Option 3a (as taken from official solution manual):
starting from the top of the first hill, using Equation A
initial KE = 0
mass factors out of equation

ghi = 0.5vf2 + ghf
(9.8*45) = (0.5vf2) + (9.8 * 40)
vf = 9.9 m/s

Option 3b
(because I don't understand why the same sign for g would be used if he is going in 2 different directions)
(9.8 * 45) = (0.5vf2) + (-9.8 * 40)
vf = 41 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is roundoff error. You did not calculate your v at the bottom of the hill correctly. It's less than 30 m/s.

*headdesk* :blushing: :smile:

thanks.

Edit: looks like I took too long thinking about why g is positive. Anyway..

I make the velocity at the bottom 29.7m/s not 30m/s. Makes all the difference.

Otherwise ..

1a and 2 and 3a are all valid approaches and all give the same answer 9.9m/s

1b and 3b are wrong.

I've not got a good explanation for why g is positive accept to say that as he climbs the other hill he clearly must gain PE.

J827 said:
(because I don't understand why the same sign for g would be used if he is going in 2 different directions)
It all depends on how you define the positive direction. If up is positive in both parts then g is negative in both and the vertical distance is negative in a), positive in b).

If I drop something it falls toward Earth. It doesn't matter if I'm going uphill or downhill.

while the magnitude of g never changes, how it affects your velocity will depending on how you have defined direction. if I am skiing downhill, my velocity will increase at a rate of 9.8 m/s2. As I ski uphill, however, my velocity will decrease at a rate of 9.8 m/s2.

I've not got a good explanation for why g is positive accept to say that as he climbs the other hill he clearly must gain PE.

that makes sense & explains why using when Equation A 9.8 is positive, while using Equation B 9.8 is negative.

rude man said:
If I drop something it falls toward Earth. It doesn't matter if I'm going uphill or downhill.
Was that in response to my post? I don't see how what I said contradicts that. It's g either way, but depending on how you define the positive direction, g is either +9.8ms-2 or -9.8ms-2.

haruspex said:
Was that in response to my post? I don't see how what I said contradicts that. It's g either way, but depending on how you define the positive direction, g is either +9.8ms-2 or -9.8ms-2.

I know you well enough to know that you know that the sign of g does not change once the coordinate system is defined!

No, I sensed the OP thought g was one sign going down & the other going up.

No, I sensed the OP thought g was one sign going down & the other going up.

nope, I'm good. :)

Related to Skiing both ways conservation of energy/1D kinematic

1. What is the conservation of energy principle in skiing both ways?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In skiing, this means that the total energy of the skier (kinetic and potential) remains constant throughout the entire run, regardless of the direction they are skiing in.

2. How does skiing both ways affect the conservation of energy?

Skiing both ways involves skiing in both the uphill and downhill directions, which affects the conservation of energy by changing the distribution of kinetic and potential energy. When skiing uphill, the skier gains potential energy as they move higher up the slope, and then this potential energy is converted back to kinetic energy as they ski downhill.

3. Does skiing both ways require more energy?

Yes, skiing both ways requires more energy than skiing in just one direction. This is because skiing uphill requires the skier to work against gravity, which requires more energy than skiing downhill where gravity helps to propel the skier.

4. How does skiing both ways affect 1D kinematics?

Skiing both ways affects 1D kinematics by changing the velocity and acceleration of the skier. When skiing uphill, the skier's velocity decreases as they work against gravity, and when skiing downhill, their velocity increases as they are aided by gravity. The skier's acceleration also changes as they move between uphill and downhill sections.

5. What are the benefits of skiing both ways for conservation of energy and 1D kinematic principles?

Skiing both ways allows for a better understanding and application of the conservation of energy and 1D kinematic principles. It also helps to develop a more balanced and well-rounded skiing technique, as the skier must use different skills and techniques when skiing uphill versus downhill. Additionally, skiing both ways can provide a more challenging and enjoyable skiing experience for those looking to improve their skills and fitness.