Ski Jump Problem: Verify if Tangent is <20º

• Thread starter GriffinHeart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump
In summary, the problem involves a ski jumper leaving the end of a slope at a 35º angle with the horizontal, while the slope itself is at a -45º angle with the horizontal. The jumper has an initial velocity of 8m/s and must ensure that the tangent of the trajectory and the slope at the moment of impact is not greater than 20º. The equations used to solve the problem are x = 8*cos(35)t and y = 8*sen(35)t -(1/2)gt^2. The reason why y = -x is desired is because it relates to the specified angles and the geometry of the problem.
GriffinHeart
1. Homework Statement
A ski jumper leaves the end of the slope, make a 35º with the horizontal and the slope making -45º with the horizontal. it has initial velocity of 8m/s. For him not to fall the tangent of the trajectory and the slope at the moment of impact should not be bigger then 20º, please verify if that's the case

2. Homework Equations
x = 8*cos(35)t
y = 8*sen(35)t -(1/2)gt^2

I have this exercise solved, what I'm trying to understand is why we want that y = -x, everything in pink is not in the original "drawing" of the problem

new here so hello everyone ^^

Attachments

• fisica.jpg
    fisica.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums.

The reason why you want y = -x is to do with the fact that they specifiy when horizontal and the slope making -45º with the horizontal. Try drawing yourself a right angled triangle where one of the angles is 45º, by doing so the other one must be 45º, and both non hypotenuse sides are equal in length.

Can you see why this implies y = -x ?

Oh ok, took a while to realize that, i guess my own drawing was misleading me, (cause i do a curve for the slope). Now i can see the relation that implies y = -x

so its something like what's in purple in the new picture.

Thanks ^^

Attachments

• fisica.jpg
    fisica.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 491

Related to Ski Jump Problem: Verify if Tangent is <20º

1. What is the Ski Jump Problem?

The Ski Jump Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the maximum slope angle of a ski jump in order to ensure the safety of the skier.

2. What does it mean to verify if tangent is less than 20º?

Verifying if the tangent is less than 20º means checking if the slope angle of the ski jump is less than 20º, as this is the recommended maximum slope angle for safety reasons.

3. How is the maximum slope angle of a ski jump calculated?

The maximum slope angle of a ski jump is calculated using the tangent function, which takes into account the height and length of the ski jump. The formula for calculating the tangent is tanθ = opposite/adjacent, where θ is the angle of the slope.

4. Why is it important to verify if tangent is less than 20º?

It is important to verify if the tangent is less than 20º in order to ensure the safety of the skier. A slope angle greater than 20º can lead to a higher risk of accidents and injuries, as it becomes more difficult for the skier to control their speed and trajectory.

5. What happens if the tangent is greater than 20º?

If the tangent is greater than 20º, it means that the slope angle of the ski jump is too steep and it is not safe for the skier to attempt the jump. In this case, adjustments to the ski jump design or location may need to be made in order to decrease the slope angle and make it safer for the skier.