Ski Jump Problem: Find the Distance Down the Slope

• Thread starter oray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump
In summary, a ski jumper leaves the end of a ski jump with a parabolic trajectory, reaching a peak height of 10 meters beyond the end and 10 meters above it. The ski slope falls away at a slope of 45 degrees below the horizontal. To determine the contact point with the surface, the equations for the ski jump trajectory and the ski slope line can be set equal to each other and solved for x.
oray
A ski jumper leaves the end of the ski jump headed upward along a parabolic trajectory. He reaches his
peak height 10 meters beyond the end (horizontal distance) and ten meters above it (vertical distance).
The ski slope falls away from his departure point in a straight line 45 degrees below the horizontal.
Measuring down the slope, how far from the end of the jump does the skier contact the surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physicsforums oray!

You must make sure to place threads in their appriopriate section, in this case it should have been in the Introductory Physics Homework Help section. Hopefully a moderator will moved it there for you. Our Homework help policy states you have to show a decent attempt at the question before we can help you with it, so that is where you should start. What have you tried?

What I've Tried

here is what I've done... now I am stuck

The parabolic path is y = -(1/10)x² + 10... vertex=(0, 10). When x is ±10, y=0.

The ski-slope-line has a slope of -1 and one point on it is (-10, 0). That let's you determine the slope-line-equation:

y = -1(x) - 10

i tried setting them equal to each other and completing the square, factoring and quadratic equation I am completley stuck and i don't know what else to try...

Hi oray,

When you set the y values equal to each other and solve for x, what do you get?

Related to Ski Jump Problem: Find the Distance Down the Slope

1. What is the Ski Jump Problem?

The Ski Jump Problem is a physics problem that involves finding the distance a skier will travel down a slope when they launch off a ski jump.

2. How is the distance down the slope calculated in the Ski Jump Problem?

The distance down the slope is calculated using the formula: d = (v2sin2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of the slope, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors can affect the distance down the slope in the Ski Jump Problem?

The distance down the slope can be affected by the initial velocity of the skier, the angle of the slope, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance impact the distance down the slope in the Ski Jump Problem?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the distance down the slope by slowing down the skier's speed and reducing the distance they can travel. It is affected by factors such as the skier's body position and the density of the air.

5. Can the Ski Jump Problem be applied to real-life ski jumps?

Yes, the Ski Jump Problem can be applied to real-life ski jumps. However, it is important to note that there are other factors involved in a ski jump, such as the shape and condition of the ramp, the skier's technique, and weather conditions, that may affect the distance traveled.