Sketching loci in the complex plane

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding what to do on a homework problem and is trying to work out the solution using the equations.
jj364

Homework Statement

Make a sketch of the complex plane showing a typical pair of complex numbers
z1 and z2

Describe the geometrical figure whose vertices
are z1, z2 and z0 = a + i0.

Homework Equations

z2 − z1 = (z1 − a)ei2π/3

a − z2 = (z2 − z1)i2π/3

where a is a real positive constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am not sure what to do on this question, my initial thoughts were that the solution would look like 3 lines in the complex plane all 2π/3 apart so that it would look like the solution to a roots of unity question.

I tried to rearrange to give z2 in terms of a which yielded

z2(1+e2πi/3 - e2πi/3/(1+e2πi/3) = a(1+e4πi/3/(1+e2πi/3))

But to be honest I really don't know where I am going with this!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're missing an "e" in your second "relevant equation" and that you mean
a − z2 = (z2 − z1) ei2π/3
instead. If that's right, you might try to interpret geometrically what multiplying a complex number by ei2π/3 means.

e2πi/3=-1/2 +i√3/2 so multiplying by it would change the real and imaginary components accordingly.

So would it be best to split into real and imaginary components so z1=x1=iy1 and z2=x2+iy2, then substitute these into the equations?
Which i think gives

z2=1/2(x1+a) + i3y1√3 /2

jj364 said:
e2πi/3=-1/2 +i√3/2 so multiplying by it would change the real and imaginary components accordingly.

That doesn't really say a lot. What does such a multiplication f(z) = ze2πi/3 look like geometrically? If you sketch 1 and f(1) in the complex plane, how could you describe the geometrical operation that takes you from 1 to f(1)? How about 1/2 and f(1/2)? How about 1+i and f(1+i)? If you can discover some similarity, you can apply this knowledge to your original problem.

Ok, so does it rotate them by 2π/3 keeping the same magnitude?

But I'm still struggling to work out my problem from this. Do I need to just think about it or can I actually solve the problem using the equations, because I've tried eliminating to no avail?

Actually I think I might have worked it out. I think it is just the solutions to z^3=1 so

1, e[itex]\frac{2\pi i}{3}[/itex], e[itex]\frac{4\pi i}{3}[/itex]

I tried it for the equations and it worked, is this right? They are all rotations of 2pi/3 of each other so it does make sense.

Related to Sketching loci in the complex plane

1. What is the complex plane?

The complex plane is a two-dimensional graph used to represent complex numbers. It consists of a horizontal axis (the real axis) and a vertical axis (the imaginary axis). Complex numbers are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What are loci in the complex plane?

Loci in the complex plane are sets of points that satisfy a given condition. In other words, they are the geometric representation of all possible values of a complex number that follow a certain rule or equation.

3. How do you sketch loci in the complex plane?

To sketch loci in the complex plane, you first need to determine the equation or condition that defines the locus. Then, plot points that satisfy the equation and connect them to create a curve or shape. It is also helpful to label points and use different colors to differentiate between different loci.

4. What is the significance of sketching loci in the complex plane?

Sketching loci in the complex plane is important in understanding and visualizing complex numbers and their properties. It also helps in solving complex equations and problems, as well as analyzing patterns and relationships between different loci.

5. What are some common types of loci in the complex plane?

Some common types of loci in the complex plane include circles, lines, parabolas, ellipses, and hyperbolas. These can be formed by using different equations or conditions, such as modulus, argand diagrams, and conjugates.