Sketching EM Waves with imaginary amplitudes

In summary, the conversation discusses sketching in 3D two waves with E fields in the x direction, E_1 and E_2. E_1 can be sketched normally, but there is uncertainty about how to treat the imaginary amplitude in E_2. It is suggested to use Euler's identity to find the real part of the function, which is 4sin(8*Pi*z).
hutchwilco

Homework Statement

Sketch in 3D, the following waves. (both E fields are in x direction
E_1 = 3*exp(-j*8*Pi*z)
E_2 = 4j*exp(-j*8*Pi*z)

(where j=sqrt(-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to sketch E_1, but my question is how to treat the imaginary amplitude, 4j in E_2.
here is my stab at it: the amplitude is really of form (a+jb) but with no real component.
ie 0 +4j. but how to sketch this?
but I can't find any conclusive info in my textbook or lecture notes on how to sketch this - do i just draw the wave as normal and say the max amplitude is "4j" ? this doesn't seem right to me since you can't have a 4j E field in reality so you shouldn't be able to sketch one!
if I do this, how then do i combine waves as a follow up question may be sketch E_1 + E_2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are only going to be able to sketch the real part of the function...for E_1, that's 3cos(8*Pi*z), for E_2, euler's identity gives 4j*exp(-j*8*Pi*z)=4j[cos(8*Pi*z)-j*sin(8*Pi*z)]=[4jcos(8*Pi*z)+4sin(8*Pi*z)] and so the real part is just 4sin(8*Pi*z).

ah thankyou! eulers identity... i should have known!

Related to Sketching EM Waves with imaginary amplitudes

1. What are EM waves and why do we sketch them with imaginary amplitudes?

Electromagnetic (EM) waves are a type of energy that travel through space in the form of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. We sketch them with imaginary amplitudes because it simplifies the mathematical representation of these waves. Imaginary numbers help us understand the phase and direction of the waves, making it easier to analyze and visualize their behavior.

2. How do we represent imaginary amplitudes in a sketch of EM waves?

In a sketch of EM waves, the amplitude of the electric and magnetic fields are typically represented using a complex number, which consists of a real and imaginary part. The real part represents the magnitude or strength of the wave, while the imaginary part represents the phase or direction of the wave.

3. Is it possible to have a wave with only an imaginary amplitude?

No, it is not possible to have a wave with only an imaginary amplitude. In order for a wave to exist, it must have both a real and imaginary component. The imaginary component represents the phase or direction of the wave, while the real component represents the strength or magnitude of the wave.

4. What does the sketch of EM waves with imaginary amplitudes tell us about the behavior of these waves?

The sketch of EM waves with imaginary amplitudes tells us about the direction and phase of the waves. It can also give us information about the polarization of the waves, which refers to the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields with respect to the direction of propagation.

5. How does using imaginary amplitudes in a sketch of EM waves help in practical applications?

Using imaginary amplitudes in a sketch of EM waves helps in practical applications by simplifying the mathematical representation of these waves. This makes it easier to analyze and understand their behavior, which is crucial in fields such as telecommunications, radar technology, and medical imaging.