Sketching absolute value graph

In summary, the given inequality suggests that one has to sketch the region in the plane consisting of all points (x,y) such that |x-y|+|x|-|y|<=2. To do this, one has to rewrite the inequality as $|x-y|\le 2+|y|-|x|$ and solve it for $|y|$. After doing so, one can weed out the unwanted region(s) by considering four cases.
GusGus335
Sketch the region in the plane consisting of all points (x,y) such that
|x-y|+|x|-|y|<=2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
GusGus335 said:
Sketch the region in the plane consisting of all points (x,y) such that
|x-y|+|x|-|y|<=2

His GusGus335! Welcome to MHB!

I believe there are many different methods to sketch the wanted region as stated by the given inequality, and here is one of the methods that you could adopt:

First, rewrite the given inequality as $|x-y|\le 2+|y|-|x|$. And we then exploit the fact that $|x|-|y|\le |x-y|$, we get $|x|-|y|\le 2+|y|-|x|$, solving it for $|y|$, we see that we have:

$|y|\ge |x|-1$, which then suggests we have to shade the regions where $y\ge |x|-1$ and $y\le -(|x|-1)$ respectively on the Cartesian plane. Like showed in the diagram below:

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y\ge \left|x\right|-1;;y\le -\left(\left|x\right|-1\right)[/desmos]

But things don't end there. We need to weed out the unwanted region(s) that don't satisfy the given inequality. We could do so by considering four cases:

Case I ($x\ge 0$ and $y\ge 0$ that correspond to $y\ge |x|-1$):

For this part, we have $-|x|+|y|\le |x-y| \le 2+|y|-|x|$, which it then gives us $0\le 2$. That means the area shaded in this area must be correct.

Case II ($x\le 0$ and $y\ge 0$ that correspond to $y\ge |x|-1$):

For this part, we have $|x|+|y|\le |x-y| \le 2+|y|-|x|$, which it then gives us $|x|\le 1$, i.e. $-1\le x \le 1$. We therefore should only shade the region of $y\ge |x|-1$ that covers the interval $-1\le x \le 0$.

i.e. we should get the shaded region shown as the picture below:

[desmos="-10,10,-10,10"]y\ge \left|x\right|-1\left\{x\ge -1\right\}[/desmos]

I will leave the other two cases for you to work them out, and I encourage you to post back to see if you get the drift of my message.

Related to Sketching absolute value graph

What is an absolute value graph?

An absolute value graph is a type of graph that represents the magnitude of a number, regardless of its sign. It is typically shown as a V-shaped graph with the vertex at the origin.

How do you sketch an absolute value graph?

To sketch an absolute value graph, plot the points of the vertex and two points on either side of the vertex. Then, connect the points with a straight line on both sides of the vertex to create the V-shape. Finally, extend the graph infinitely in both directions along the x-axis.

What is the equation for an absolute value graph?

The equation for an absolute value graph is y = |x|, where y represents the output or dependent variable and x represents the input or independent variable.

What is the significance of the vertex in an absolute value graph?

The vertex in an absolute value graph represents the point where the graph changes direction. This point is also the minimum or maximum value of the graph, depending on the direction of the V-shape.

How do you determine the domain and range of an absolute value graph?

The domain of an absolute value graph is all real numbers, as the graph extends infinitely in both directions along the x-axis. The range depends on the vertex of the graph. If the vertex is at the origin, the range is all non-negative real numbers. If the vertex is above the origin, the range is all positive real numbers. If the vertex is below the origin, the range is all negative real numbers.