Sketch the wave, showing both x < 0 and x > 0.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the amplitude and phase of a wave represented by the wave function y = A cos(2πx/λ + π/3) for x < 0 and A cos(4πx/λ + φ) for x > 0 by applying continuity conditions at x = 0. The continuity condition requires that y(0-) = y(0+) and y'(0-) = y'(0+), from which the values of B and φ can be determined. Plotting the results is recommended for consistency.
aryan

Homework Statement

[/B]A wave is represented by the wave function:
y = A cos(2πx/λ + π/3) for x < 0. For x > 0, the wavelength is λ/2. By applying continuity conditions at x = 0, find the amplitude (in terms of A) and phase of the wave in the region x > 0. Sketch the wave, showing both x < 0 and x > 0.

Homework Equations

[/B]y = A cos(2πx/λ + π/3) for x<0
and A cos(4πx/λ + φ) for x >0

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I guess using the equation above we can make this. How to apply continuity condition and solve this? I have a little idea over this. can anyone please guide me through the entire question. Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
The continuity condition requires that y(0-) = y(0+) and y'(0-) = y'(0+). I think you need to have a different coefficient for the positive x, since the amplitude may be different.
## y(0-) = A cos(\pi/3), y(0+) = B cos(\phi)##
## y'(0-) = -\frac{2\pi}{\lambda} A sin(\pi/3), y'(0+) = -\frac{4\pi}{\lambda}B sin(\phi)##

Likes aryan
Now from the above two equations i shall get the value of B and ϕ. Right?

Hopefully. Then I would recommend plotting the results to make sure they look consistent.

Related to Sketch the wave, showing both x < 0 and x > 0.

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without permanently displacing the medium itself.

2. How is a wave typically represented graphically?

A wave is typically represented graphically as a repeating pattern of crests (high points) and troughs (low points) along a horizontal axis, with the vertical axis representing the amplitude or intensity of the wave.

3. What does the x < 0 and x > 0 represent in a wave graph?

The x < 0 and x > 0 on a wave graph represent different positions along the horizontal axis. x < 0 represents the part of the wave that has already passed through, while x > 0 represents the part of the wave that is yet to come.

4. What is the significance of showing both x < 0 and x > 0 in a wave graph?

Showing both x < 0 and x > 0 in a wave graph allows us to see the entire cycle of the wave, from its starting point to its ending point. This helps us understand the properties and behavior of the wave better.

5. How do we determine the wavelength and frequency of a wave from its graph?

The wavelength of a wave can be determined by measuring the distance between two consecutive crests or troughs on the graph. The frequency can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. In other words, it is the number of complete cycles of the wave that pass a point in one second.