Sketch the displacement of the string

In summary, we have an infinitely long string with an initial displacement of y(x,t) = sin(pix/a) for -a ≤ x ≤ a at time t=0. We use d'Alembert's solution for speed c to sketch the displacement of the string at t=0, t=a/2c, and t=a/c. The problem is knowing whether to substitute x-ct or x+ct in the solution, but since the initial displacement is zero outside the interval [-a,a], the wave could potentially go in both directions.
bon

Homework Statement

2. At time t = 0, the displacement of an infinitely long string is:
y(x, t) = sin(pix/a) for −a ≤ x ≤ a

The string is initially at rest. Using d’Alembert’s solution for speed c, sketch the displacement of the string at t = 0, t = a/2c, and t = a/c.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I see how to do this...my only problem is as follows:

D'Alembert solutions says y = f(x-ct) + g(x+ct)..

but we don't know if the wave goes left or right..so how do i know whether to sub in x-ct for x or x+ct for x? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Is the initial displacement zero outside the interval [-a,a]?

You had a very similar problem not long ago.

ehild

ehild said:
Is the initial displacement zero outside the interval [-a,a]?

You had a very similar problem not long ago.

ehild

yes it is similar outside the interval..

I know that this is similar to the one before - my problem is just knowing what to substitute instead of x -- should it be x-ct or x+ct?...

Thanks!

Why do you think that the wave goes either left or right and not in both direction? Apply D'Alembert solution y = f(x-ct) + g(x+ct).

ehild

As a scientist, it is important to always consider all possibilities and analyze the given information before making any assumptions. In this case, we know that the string is initially at rest, and the given function is symmetric about the y-axis. This means that the wave could potentially travel in either direction with equal probability. Therefore, when using d’Alembert’s solution, we can substitute both x-ct and x+ct and sketch the resulting displacements for both cases. This will give us a more complete understanding of the possible movements of the string.

Related to Sketch the displacement of the string

1. What does "sketch the displacement of the string" mean?

"Sketch the displacement of the string" refers to creating a visual representation of the movement or position of a string over a period of time. This can be used to analyze the motion of the string and determine its characteristics.

2. Why is it important to sketch the displacement of the string?

Sketching the displacement of the string allows us to visually understand the behavior and patterns of the string's motion. It can also help us to make predictions and analyze the string's movement in a more meaningful way.

3. How can I sketch the displacement of the string?

To sketch the displacement of the string, you will need to plot the position of the string at different points in time on a graph. The x-axis represents time while the y-axis represents the displacement of the string. You can then connect the plotted points to create a visual representation of the string's displacement.

4. What factors affect the displacement of a string?

The displacement of a string can be affected by various factors such as the tension of the string, the length of the string, and the frequency or amplitude of the vibration. The type of material the string is made of can also affect its displacement.

5. How can I use the displacement of the string to calculate its speed?

By measuring the displacement of the string at different points in time, you can calculate its speed by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. This will give you the average speed of the string. To calculate the instantaneous speed, you can take the derivative of the displacement graph at a specific point in time.