Skateboarders Jumping Over 2 Cars, Math Help Needed

• Thread starter saganforever
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, the conversation discusses building a ramp to jump over two cars, with the goal of landing about 12.5 ft away from the edge of the ramp. The necessary speed to achieve this depends on various factors such as the height and angle of the ramp, the mass of the car, and the effects of air resistance and friction. While the individuals involved are experienced, it is always best to err on the side of caution and use a slower speed for safety.
saganforever
This is not a homework question, my friend just wanted me to consult math experts to make him feel safer.

Homework Statement

My friend is building a ramp for us to make the jump over 2 cars. I weigh 120 pounds, and my friend weighs 135 pounds. I figured the ramp needs to be anywhere from 6 - 8 ft. high. We are jumping over a Ford Escape (~5.8ft. tall, ~5.8ft wide) and a Chevy Cobalt (~4.76ft. tall, ~5.8in. wide). We will be holding onto the back of another car in order to get speed, and we need to know how fast we need to go depending on how high the ramp is and how much of a curve it has on it. I figure the ideal distance to land away from the edge of ramp is about 12.5 ft ([5.8 x 2]+ extra room between cars and ramp).

Homework Equations

not sure but

s = ut + 0.5at^2

u is initial velocity of the object
t is time taken to reach max height
a is deceleration due to gravity (-9.81 m/s^2)

Do not worry about our safety, we are very experienced and not holding anyone responsible in case we get hurt.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not possible to accurately answer this question without knowing more information. You will need to know the distance of the ramp, the angle of the ramp, and the mass of the car. You will also need to take into account the effects of air resistance and friction on the speed of the car and the riders. If you are confident in your experience, then you should be able to make a reasonable estimate of the speed needed. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and use a slower speed to ensure safety.

Related to Skateboarders Jumping Over 2 Cars, Math Help Needed

1. How do skateboarders calculate the distance and speed needed to jump over 2 cars?

Skateboarders use the principles of physics and geometry to calculate the distance and speed needed to jump over 2 cars. They consider factors such as the height of the cars, the speed at which they are traveling, and the angle of the jump to determine the necessary velocity and trajectory.

2. What is the maximum height that a skateboarder can jump over 2 cars?

The maximum height that a skateboarder can jump over 2 cars depends on various factors such as the skateboarder's skill level, the type of skateboard used, and the condition of the ramp. However, the current world record for the highest skateboard jump over a car is 16 feet and 5 inches.

3. How does the weight of the skateboarder affect their ability to jump over 2 cars?

The weight of the skateboarder plays a crucial role in their ability to jump over 2 cars. The heavier the skateboarder, the more force they will need to generate to propel themselves over the cars. However, a lighter skateboarder may have an advantage in terms of agility and control, allowing them to execute the jump more accurately.

4. Can skateboarders use math to improve their jumps over 2 cars?

Yes, skateboarders can use math to improve their jumps over 2 cars. By understanding the mathematical principles behind their jumps, such as velocity, acceleration, and angles, skateboarders can make calculated adjustments to their technique and improve their performance.

5. What are the potential risks involved in jumping over 2 cars on a skateboard?

Jumping over 2 cars on a skateboard can be extremely dangerous and should only be attempted by experienced and skilled skateboarders. The potential risks include collisions with the cars, loss of control during the jump, and serious injuries from falls. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and practicing in a controlled environment, should always be taken.