Sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant?

In summary, the conversation is about sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant. The person is having trouble finding resources and is looking for equations to help them get started. They mention the book "Powerplant Technology" and ask if there is a free copy available. Another person suggests checking with school libraries for a loaner copy.
megr_ftw
Sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant!?

Homework Statement

So I can't find anything online to help me with this because there isn't very many resources for this. If anyone knows of a good resource that would be great or some pointers on how to get started on this.

I am working a problem trying to find the volume of a pressurizer... here is the problem

A PWR has a 8000 ft^3 primary loop at 2200 psi. Hot leg temp is 600F and cold leg is 540F and the pressurizer if 60% full of water. Calculate necessary pressurizer volume for no more than 1% system pressure rise for a 10F rise in primary loop temperatures. Ignore spray flow and heat added.

I AM NOT asking someone to work this for me, I simply want to know what equations can help me get started because the book "Powerplant Technology" does not cover this very well and I can't find any other resources...

Homework Equations

F=ma? lol

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

See Nuclear Systems I, Todreas & Kazimi, Chapter 7.

is there a free copy anywhere?

I have "Powerplant Technology" book and already spent a fortune on that...

edgepflow said:
See Nuclear Systems I, Todreas & Kazimi, Chapter 7.

megr_ftw said:
is there a free copy anywhere?

I have "Powerplant Technology" book and already spent a fortune on that...

Maybe check with your school libraries. If they don't have a copy, maybe they can get a loaner from another library in their system...

I would suggest starting by understanding the basic principles behind pressurizers in PWR plants. A pressurizer is a key component in a PWR plant that helps maintain a stable pressure in the primary loop by controlling the amount of steam in the system.

To size a pressurizer, you will need to consider several factors such as the primary loop volume, temperature, and pressure, as well as the desired system pressure rise and temperature rise. You will also need to take into account the specific design and specifications of the PWR plant you are working with.

One possible approach to solving this problem could be using the ideal gas law (PV=nRT) to calculate the volume of steam that would be generated in the primary loop with a 10F temperature rise. This volume of steam would then need to be accommodated by the pressurizer, so you could use the volume of the pressurizer and the volume of steam to calculate the necessary pressurizer volume.

Another equation that could be useful is the continuity equation (A1V1=A2V2), which relates the cross-sectional area and velocity of a fluid at two different points in a system. This could be used to determine the necessary cross-sectional area of the pressurizer to accommodate the volume of steam.

I would also recommend consulting with experts in the field of PWR plants or referring to technical manuals and design specifications for more specific equations and guidelines. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to Sizing a pressurizer for a PWR plant?

1. What is the purpose of a pressurizer in a PWR plant?

The pressurizer in a PWR (pressurized water reactor) plant is used to maintain the pressure of the primary coolant loop within a specific range. This helps regulate the temperature and prevent boiling in the reactor core.

2. How is the pressurizer sized for a PWR plant?

The pressurizer is sized based on the design pressure and temperature of the reactor, as well as the flow rate of the primary coolant loop. Other factors such as safety margins, material properties, and operating conditions may also be considered.

3. What factors affect the size of a pressurizer in a PWR plant?

The size of a pressurizer in a PWR plant is affected by the desired pressure and temperature ranges, the flow rate of the primary coolant loop, safety requirements, and the type of reactor design.

4. Can a pressurizer be oversized in a PWR plant?

Yes, a pressurizer can be oversized in a PWR plant. However, this can lead to unnecessary costs and may affect the efficiency of the plant. It is important to carefully consider all factors when sizing a pressurizer to ensure it meets the necessary requirements without being overly large.

5. What happens if the pressurizer is undersized in a PWR plant?

If the pressurizer is undersized in a PWR plant, it may not be able to maintain the desired pressure and temperature ranges, which could potentially result in safety issues or damage to the reactor. It is important to accurately size the pressurizer to ensure safe and efficient operation of the plant.