FDA Warns on Star Anise Use | Edible vs Toxic Varieties

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary, the conversation is about the use of star anise in tea and the potential dangers associated with it. The Food and Drug Administration has advised against consuming teas brewed from star anise due to the confusion between edible Chinese and toxic Japanese varieties. The speaker is interested in using star anise for its licorice-like taste and is considering getting expert advice from a botanist. The conversation also touches on the use of anise, a similar but safer plant, in making licorice candies. There is also a mention of the speaker's preference for Dutch licorice over the plastic-tasting American variety.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Today I went to a herb/spice store and bought some whole star anise. I can make some good tasting tea (or as recently established: infusion) from that, I thought. Never having used star anise before, I check the internet, what do I find?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to consume "teas" brewed from star anise. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00941.html [Broken]

Spoiling all the fun

Apparently there is a edible Chinese variety and a toxic Japanese variety which tend to get mixed up.. now all I've got to do is find a taxinomaly expert (how do you call plant experts!?) to tell me the difference..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Botanist?

But why do you want to brew that stuff anyway? Are you suffering from colic?

Yes :) botanist :) I thought of that a few minutes ago.. And it is not scientifically proven that star anise relieves colic :P

Licorice is my favorite sweet (dutch have many varieties, not to be confused with the plastic tasting american variety), star tea is just incredibly sweet and I have a sweet tooth :D

I found a link from the American Botanical Council that is kinda reassuring:

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/research/allaboutherbs/staranise_abcpressrelease.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not save yourself the trouble & get a bottle of anisette?

Guess you have to choose your own poison :P

But...
ABC also pointed out that the public should not confuse star anise with anise, sometimes called aniseseed (Pimpinella anisum), a member of the carrot family. Anise is a safe, commonly used food flavoring that is also generally recognized as safe by the FDA. Because of its licorice-like taste, anise oil is the main ingredient used in making "licorice" candies in the U.S.
Is that the "plastic tasting American variety" you mentioned? (I think aniseed is the one used to make anisette.)

Anisette? Never heard of it :P And boiling some water with a piece of star anise in it isn't too much a trouble I guess?

I'll just be my own test bunny.

The plastic American variety of licorice I was pointing to is from the brand Twizzlers (I guess that is the name), that stuff is just like edible plastic.

I once brought real licorice candy (or liquorice) with me from the Netherlands to the US, lol, it stayed in their mouths just long enough for the taste bud signal to travel to their brain, sending a reflex to spit it out.. the stuff is quite salty :P actually, the salt is ammoniumchloride.. I guess most people aren't used to eating that..

What is the FDA warning about star anise use?

The FDA has issued a warning about the consumption of star anise due to the presence of toxic varieties that can be potentially harmful to human health.

What is the difference between edible and toxic varieties of star anise?

Edible star anise is a type of spice commonly used in cooking and has been deemed safe for consumption by the FDA. However, there are also toxic varieties of star anise that may look similar but can cause adverse effects if ingested.

How can I identify if the star anise I have is edible or toxic?

The only way to be sure if the star anise you have is edible is by purchasing it from a reputable source. Edible star anise is typically sold as whole dried stars, while the toxic varieties are often sold as a powder or ground form.

What are the potential health risks of consuming toxic star anise?

Toxic star anise can cause serious health issues such as nausea, vomiting, seizures, and potentially even death. It is important to only consume edible star anise from a trusted source to avoid these risks.

Is it safe to use star anise in cooking if it is from a reputable source?

Yes, if the star anise is from a reputable source and has been deemed safe for consumption by the FDA, it is safe to use in cooking. However, it is always important to follow proper food handling and preparation guidelines to ensure the safety of any ingredient.

Back