Sixty men can dig a post-hole in one second

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary: Its not surprising, but it still bums me out.In summary, Mr. Tipton's kitchen is full of magic grits that make boiling water soak into them faster than anywhere else on earth.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
Whenever, I see those elementary algebra word problems about "rates of work", I think of Ambrose Bierce's definition of Logc:

(Quoting it from https://www.uta.edu/philosophy/faculty/burgess-jackson/Ambrose Bierce (Logic).pdf )

Logic, n.
The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the liitations and incapacities of the
human misunderstanding. The basic of logic is the syllogism, consisting of a major and a minor premise and a
conclusion—thus:

Major Premise: Sixty men can do a piece of work sixty times as quickly as one man.

Minor Premise: One man can dig a post-hole in sixty seconds; therefore—

Conclusion: Sixty men can dig a post-hole in one second.

This may be called the syllogism arithmetical, in which, by combining logic and mathematics, we obtain a
double certainty and are twice blessed.

(Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary)

Likes Karen Williams and Bystander
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, those problems use numbers that are not so unrealistic. Sure, you cannot scale it arbitrarily, but that should not be surprising.

My favorite version of this: "It takes a 40-piece orchestra six minutes to play a particular Strauss waltz. How long will it take a 60-piece orchestra to play the same waltz?"

Likes Mmm_Pasta, JonDE, Enigman and 1 other person
Lol at Mr V

Vanadium 50 said:
My favorite version of this: "It takes a 40-piece orchestra six minutes to play a particular Strauss waltz. How long will it take a 60-piece orchestra to play the same waltz?"

40*6/60=4 minutes. I'm so good at these problems, I breeze right through them. :)

Must have left the waltzers panting...

Vanadium 50 said:

I might be completely wrong here, but aren't larger orchestras usually employed for slower pieces, and thus the 60-piece orchestra might be conducted at a slower tempo? So there may be something to that.

Matterwave said:
40*6/60=4 minutes. I'm so good at these problems, I breeze right through them. :)
"Okay, there are 6000 notes left to play. You take the first 100, you take the second 100, ...
Go!"

I'm fairly certain it was D H I read this from but I tend to use "9 women cannot make a baby in one month"

mfb said:
"Okay, there are 6000 notes left to play. You take the first 100, you take the second 100, ...
Go!"
Interestingly enough, if you have enough people in the band, you can reach a singularity where the whole piece is played before the conductor even finishes conducting the first downbeat.

Syllogism arithmetical, in my experience, is applied frequently by IT project managers. This is contrary to Brooks' law (from "The Mythical Man-Month") which states that adding resources to a late IT project will make it later!

My favorite has always been Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

(Hofstadter is a big fan of Godel and Escher)

Likes mfb
DaveC426913 said:
My favorite has always been Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
(Hofstadter is a big fan of Godel and Escher)

He must have done work with Murphy. As one of his laws states...
Nothing is as easy as it looks, everything takes longer than expected and if anything can go wrong, it will, at the worse possible moment

I wonder how many guys were in this guy's kitchen?

Vinny Gambini: Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?
Mr. Tipton: Just regular, I guess.
Vinny Gambini: Regular. Instant grits?
Mr. Tipton: No self-respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.
Vinny Gambini: So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world twenty minutes?
Mr. Tipton: [a bit panicky] I don't know. I'm a fast cook, I guess.
Vinny Gambini: I'm sorry, I was all the way over here. I couldn't hear you. Did you say you were a fast cook? That's it?
[Mr. Tipton nods in embarrassment]
Vinny Gambini: Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than on any place on the face of the earth?
Mr. Tipton: I don't know.
Vinny Gambini: Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

It takes one man 20 minutes to make grits, so there must have been 20/5=4 men in Mr. Tipton's kitchen. NEXT!

With 9 women, you can get 9x the usual expected baby production rate.
You can organize them so you get 9months to the first baby, then one a month for the next 8... or just have this huge burst of productivity after 9 months.
With the possibility for simultaneous delivery, the production rate can get arbitrarily high.

When the premize is faulty, the logical result is also faulty... though still logical.
I think we all know this.

Ive seen smart replies to rates of work problems phrased like: your dad and your uncle build chairs...
... the reply goes: takes forever cause dad and uncle never did get along... or something.

One of Heinlein's characters deadpanned that more than a few newly-wed women were so eager for their first child that they manage to produce one in only three or four months.

A short essay on why the model fails might make an interesting follow-up question. Some tasks can be split up and parallelised, some can't, and some can to some extent. Understanding the limits of your model is at least as important as being able to manipulate the model in the first place. Teaching this along with models might even put to rest some of the "...science...gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact" (as Twain put it) comments. (There is no "naive" smiley...)

What exactly does the statement "Sixty men can dig a post-hole in one second" mean?

The statement means that if sixty men work together, they can dig a post-hole in one second.

Is it possible for sixty men to dig a post-hole in one second?

No, it is not physically possible for sixty men to dig a post-hole in one second. It is an exaggerated statement used for emphasis or to make a point.

What factors could affect the time it takes for sixty men to dig a post-hole?

The factors that could affect the time include the size and depth of the post-hole, the tools and equipment available, the physical abilities and coordination of the men, and the environment (e.g. soil type, weather conditions).

Can the statement be interpreted to mean that one man can dig a post-hole in one-sixtieth of a second?

No, the statement cannot be interpreted in that way. It is referring to the collective effort of sixty men, not the individual abilities of one man.

Why would someone use this statement in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, this statement could be used as a hypothetical scenario to demonstrate the concept of teamwork and the power of collaboration. It could also be used as an example of an exaggerated statement and the importance of critically evaluating information.

Back