Sister's Spider Encounter: A Canadian Experience

• Thread starter NeedBioInfo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the conversation is about a person's sister who is afraid of spiders and claims to have seen a black widow in Canada. The person is asking for clarification on the identifying feature of a black widow and the potential danger it poses. The conversation also includes additional information about black widows, such as their habitat and behavior, and personal experiences with encountering them.
NeedBioInfo
My sister, whose pyscho about spiders, is *****ing about seeing a black widow. We live in Canada. She says she knows that it's black widow because it was red on the top. But it's their belly, not their top, that's supposed to be red right? (Although maybe I misunderstood her...maybe she saw the it belly-side-up...or something)

Anyways I'd appreciate answers to this as soon as possible, especially if what she saw wasn't a black widow

Biology news on Phys.org
Black widows have an hourglass-shaped red marking on their abdomen (yes, on their ventral side...what you probably mean by "belly"). There are other spiders that have red markings that are not black widows.

Here's a site with information about black widow spiders, including their habitat ranges. http://members.tripod.com/~LouCaru/index-13.html

Last edited by a moderator:
They are in Canada, but only in 'secluded' sites, like the Desert that is in Alberta, in Dinosaur Provincial Park.

They can also travel anywhere with shipments of fruit and veggies.

"Five recognized species" north of the U.S.-Mexican border --- all five can be found in SE Texas, plus possible additional species. Color ranges from "milk chocolate" thru black to a gun-metal blue-black --- the hour glass may be totally absent in some individuals, but not often. Juvenile imagoes often exhibit "racing stripes" on the dorsal surface of the abdomen in the form of red and/or white comic book lightning bolts; these are paired laterally and disappear at the rate of one or two pairs per molt (occasionally still visible on two yr. olds --- sparse food reducing the rate of maturation), but usually not present once the abdomen exceeds 6mm diameter.
The level of aggression varies among individuals within species --- anything from the "timid retreat" to the full charge with raised front legs (usually an egg sac in the vicinity).
Don't bother it, and it won't bother you --- keeps the bugs down.

We get black widows every year, sometimes in the house even. They no longer freak me out. They are not aggressive towards people without provocation.

I killed one two days ago - huge one - And I'm glad I saw your post because I forgot to finish off the egg sac and must go do that now.

Edit: There. That's taken care of. And I forgot to second Moon bear's comment - the hourgalss is distinct and on the ventral (belly) side. The spiders are very shiny (not fuzzy) and make tangled webs and often hang upside down (thus allowing the "belly" and hourglass to face up.)

Last edited:

Related to Sister's Spider Encounter: A Canadian Experience

1. What is "Sister's Spider Encounter: A Canadian Experience" about?

"Sister's Spider Encounter: A Canadian Experience" is a short story about two sisters who encounter a giant spider while on a camping trip in Canada. It follows their journey as they try to survive and escape from the spider.

2. Is this story based on a true event?

No, "Sister's Spider Encounter: A Canadian Experience" is a work of fiction.

3. What inspired you to write this story?

The idea for this story came to me while I was on a camping trip in Canada. I saw a spider and started to imagine what would happen if it was much larger and more dangerous. From there, the story evolved into a tale of survival and sisterhood.

4. Are there any underlying themes in this story?

Yes, some of the underlying themes in "Sister's Spider Encounter: A Canadian Experience" include the bond between sisters, the resilience of the human spirit, and the power of nature.

5. What message do you hope readers take away from this story?

I hope readers take away a sense of adventure and excitement, as well as an appreciation for the strength of sisterly bonds. Additionally, I hope the story encourages readers to never give up, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable challenges.