Sir, i get the fllowing reply for my question 'can helium be

• Thread starter SoumyaBanerjee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helium sir
In summary, the expert explains that converting helium to hydrogen requires energy input and that the mass of four protons is greater than the mass of a helium nucleus. They also suggest breaking apart an alpha particle to produce hydrogen, but this is not a practical solution for replacing hydrogen in the sun.
SoumyaBanerjee
sir,
i get the fllowing reply for my question 'can helium be changed to hydrogen'

'' Helium to Hydrogen requires energy input, for just the same reason that Hydrogen to Helium produces energy. The mass of four protons is greater than the mass of a Helium nucleus (alpha particle)''.

but i am sorry to say that i could not understand the meaning of the answer.I also want to know it is possible or not at preasent ?I understand that there is a need of energy to do it but
is it possible?
soumya

Physics news on Phys.org
You could probably try to smash an alpha particle apart, by shootin something (a relativistic electron?) at it; then you'd get two protons (hydrogen nuclei) and two neutrons. Neutrons decay in about 11 minutes to a proton and an electron. So there is your production of Hydrogen from Helium. But this is really a small scale operation. You're not going to relace the Hydrogen in the aging sun with it.

Related to Sir, i get the fllowing reply for my question 'can helium be

1. Can helium be found on Earth?

Yes, helium can be found on Earth. It is the second most abundant element in the universe and is found in small amounts in the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Can helium be created in a laboratory?

Yes, helium can be created in a laboratory through a process called nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms are fused together to form helium. This process also occurs naturally in stars.

3. Can helium be used as a fuel source?

No, helium cannot be used as a fuel source. It is a non-reactive gas and is not capable of producing energy through combustion or nuclear reactions.

4. Can helium be used as a medical treatment?

Yes, helium is used in medical treatments such as MRI machines and respiratory therapy. It is also used in cryogenics to cool materials for medical procedures.

5. Can helium be harmful to humans?

No, helium is not harmful to humans. It is a non-toxic and non-reactive gas that is safe to inhale in small amounts. However, inhaling large amounts can cause asphyxiation due to lack of oxygen.