Sinusoids- Fundamentals of Electric Circuits

In summary, the phase angle between i_1= - 4 sin(377t+55) and i_2= 5 cos(377t-65) is 210 degrees, with i_2 leading by 210 degrees. This is based on the graphical representation of the phasors, where i_1 is in the II quadrant and i_2 is in the IV quadrant. The result may seem contradictory to previous examples, but it is important to remember that a phasor leading by a negative angle also means it follows by the positive angle. The physical significance of "leading" is that it represents the relationship between the two signals and their time shifts.
kostantina
Find the phase angle between i_1= - 4 sin(377t+55) and i_2= 5 cos(377t-65)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I converted i_1= 4 cos(377t+145) and i_2=5cos(377t-65)

According to lectures in class the 'most' negative leads. So in this case i_2 leads by -65-145=210. However, if you look at the publishers solution it says that i_1 leads by 210. Why? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here is a link to the publishers solution posted online on his student edition help/tools website:

Its problem 9.2

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073380571/938372/Chapt09PP_120121.pdf

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the two as phasors and you'll see.

I did and according to my lectures i_2 should lead. +x axis is the +cos(wt) and the -y axis is the +sin(wt)
So i_1 = cos(377t+145) is in the II quadrant, and i_2=5cos(377-65 is in the IV quadrant). we start from the cos(wt) axis which is the + x-axis and go counterclockwise for polar angle so first we wee i_1 and then i_2. So i_1 is lagging hence i_2 leading.
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

i_2 leads by -65-145=210
... you missed out a minus sign.
if i2 leads by a negative amount...

Yes, we were told in class that result will be negative. And the most negative leads. So everything just contradicts here. This approach solved all the previous examples I tried. Now it all gets negated? Graphically how can you tell which one leads and which one follows? Its an angle 210 >180 so why not the other one lead?

If a phasor leads by angle A degrees then it also follows by angle 360-A degrees right?
But if it leads by -A then doesn't that mean it follows by A.

-65 degrees is the same as 295 degrees isn't it?
210 is the same as -150?

If the phasors were separated by 180 degrees, which would lead?
Which is the "most negative"?

i.e. is there a physical significance to "leading"?

Related to Sinusoids- Fundamentals of Electric Circuits

1. What are sinusoids in the context of electric circuits?

Sinusoids are a type of alternating current (AC) that has a sinusoidal waveform. In other words, the voltage or current in a sinusoidal circuit varies in a smooth, repetitive manner over time. This type of waveform is commonly seen in household electrical systems and electronic devices.

2. How do sinusoids differ from other types of AC waveforms?

Sinusoids differ from other types of AC waveforms in terms of their shape and frequency. While sinusoids have a smooth, curved shape, other AC waveforms may have more jagged or irregular shapes. Additionally, sinusoids have a specific frequency, or number of cycles per second, which can be calculated using the formula f=1/T, where T is the period of the waveform.

3. What is the relationship between sinusoids and frequency?

The frequency of a sinusoidal waveform is directly related to its period and can be calculated using the formula f=1/T. This means that as the frequency of a sinusoidal waveform increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. Furthermore, the frequency of a sinusoidal waveform determines its properties, such as amplitude and phase.

4. How are sinusoids represented mathematically?

Sinusoids are represented mathematically using trigonometric functions, specifically sine and cosine. These functions can be graphed to show the shape of the waveform, and they can also be used to calculate the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the waveform.

5. What are some real-world applications of sinusoidal circuits?

Sinusoidal circuits have a wide range of real-world applications, including power generation and distribution, electric motors, audio signals, and radio transmissions. They are also used in electronic devices such as televisions and computers to convert AC to DC power. Additionally, sinusoidal circuits are essential in the study and analysis of electric circuits and systems.