Sinusoidal Waves homework help

In summary, two transverse sinusoidal waves with wave functions y1 = 5.00 sin π(x + 0.900t) and y2 = 5.00 sin π(x − 0.900t) combine in a medium to form a standing wave with an equation of 10sin(pi*x)*cos(0.9*pi*t). To determine the maximum transverse position of an element at specific x-values, the cosine component can be assumed to be 1 and the resulting equation can be solved for 10sin(pi*x) values. To find the three smallest values of x corresponding to antinodes, the extrema and zeros of the sine and cosine functions can be used.
PhysLiz

Homework Statement

Two transverse sinusoidal waves combining in a medium are described by the wave functions
y1 = 5.00 sin π(x + 0.900t)
y2 = 5.00 sin π(x − 0.900t)
where x, y1, and y2 are in centimeters and t is in seconds. Determine the maximum transverse position of an element of the medium at the following positions.
(a) x = 0.210 cm
(b) x = 0.520 cm
(c) x = 1.30 cm

(d) Find the three smallest values of x corresponding to antinodes. (Enter your answers from smallest to largest.)

Homework Equations

Equation of a standing wave: y = 2Asin(kx)cos(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

by my calculations,
y1+y2 = 10sin(pi*x)*cos(0.9*pi*t)

and from here I'm a bit confused. I tried deriving (y1+y2) with respect to time, and setting this equal to zero in order to find the corresponding x-values , but I just ended up with 0-values so either I did it incorrectly or that's not the right method. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can certainly maximize the function by using derivatives, but you'd have to show your work to let us see where you went wrong. It's probably very useful to sketch sin and cos by hand and recall what angles are extrema and which are zeros. You can go back and verify those using derivatives.

it turned out to be much simpler than I thought. no derivatives involved - just assume the cosine component = 1 and then plug and chug to solve for 10sin(pi*x) values. but thank you!

Related to Sinusoidal Waves homework help

1. What are sinusoidal waves?

Sinusoidal waves are a type of periodic wave that have a smooth, repetitive oscillation that resembles the shape of a sine curve. They can be described by their amplitude, frequency, and phase.

2. How do I calculate the period of a sinusoidal wave?

The period of a sinusoidal wave can be calculated by dividing the wavelength by the wave speed. It can also be calculated by dividing 2π by the angular frequency.

3. What is the difference between amplitude and frequency in sinusoidal waves?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal wave refers to the maximum displacement of the wave from its rest position, while the frequency refers to the number of complete cycles the wave makes in one second. Amplitude is measured in units of distance, while frequency is measured in units of hertz (Hz).

4. How do I graph a sinusoidal wave?

To graph a sinusoidal wave, plot the amplitude on the y-axis and the time on the x-axis. Start at the origin and draw a smooth curve that follows the shape of the sine function. The period of the wave can be determined by the wavelength or the time it takes for one complete cycle.

5. What are some real-life applications of sinusoidal waves?

Sinusoidal waves have many real-life applications, including in sound and music, electromagnetic radiation, and mechanical waves such as ocean waves and seismic waves. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as ultrasound and MRI scanners.