Sinusoidal to monphasic pulse

In summary: Yes, polarization will modify the impedance. Monophasic current avoids this problem. Yes, monophasic stimulation is standard for EMG applications.
tahsid
I have impedance values for an electrode (used for nerve stimulation) over a wide frequency range using sinusoidal current. Now I have to calculate how much voltage I need to stimulate the electrode at a current of 5mA, using the equation (V=IR). I have to use monophasic pulse train of 5 to 10 pulses, pulse width = 200 micro seconds, inter pulse interval = 5 milli sec and frequency= 20 Hz.
I want to know at what frequency I should take the impedance from the impedance data (obtained using sinusoidal current) corresponding to the frequency of 20 Hz (monophasic pulse train)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
tahsid said:
I have impedance values for an electrode (used for nerve stimulation) over a wide frequency range using sinusoidal current. Now I have to calculate how much voltage I need to stimulate the electrode at a current of 5mA, using the equation (V=IR). I have to use monophasic pulse train of 5 to 10 pulses, pulse width = 200 micro seconds, inter pulse interval = 5 milli sec and frequency= 20 Hz.
I want to know at what frequency I should take the impedance from the impedance data (obtained using sinusoidal current) corresponding to the frequency of 20 Hz (monophasic pulse train)?

Welcome to the PF.

First, is this electrode meant to be used in a human biomedical application? If so, are you designing your circuitry according to the UL 544 safety standard?

Can you please describe the application? What does the electrode get placed on? Depending on the surface, you may not be able to infer monophasic impedance from a balanced AC impedance sweep...

Yes, the electrode is meant for biomedical application. the electrode is placed near the nerve.
I have done the impedance measurement of the electrode now I want to calculate how much voltage is required for stimulating this electrode using monophasic current. if the required voltage is too high than this electrode is not suitable.

tahsid said:
Yes, the electrode is meant for biomedical application. the electrode is placed near the nerve.
I have done the impedance measurement of the electrode now I want to calculate how much voltage is required for stimulating this electrode using monophasic current. if the required voltage is too high than this electrode is not suitable.

For monophasic current, won't polarization at the interface modify the impedance? Why are you using monophasic stimulation? Is that standard for EMG applications (I don't know)?

Related to Sinusoidal to monphasic pulse

1. What is a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse?

A sinusoidal to monophasic pulse is a type of electrical stimulation used in medical treatments and research. It involves delivering a pulsating electrical current to a specific area of the body in a controlled manner.

2. How does a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse differ from other types of electrical stimulation?

Unlike other types of electrical stimulation, such as square wave or triangular wave pulses, a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse has a smooth, rounded shape resembling a sine wave. This makes it more comfortable for patients and allows for more precise control of the electrical current.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse?

Some potential benefits of using a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse include reduced muscle spasms and pain, improved blood flow, and enhanced muscle strength and endurance. It may also be used to treat conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, and nerve damage.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse?

While generally considered safe, there are some potential risks associated with using a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse. These include skin irritation, burns, and interference with implanted medical devices. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult with a medical professional before using this type of electrical stimulation.

5. How is a sinusoidal to monophasic pulse administered?

A sinusoidal to monophasic pulse is typically administered using electrodes placed on the skin over the affected area. The intensity, frequency, and duration of the pulse can be adjusted to suit the individual's needs. It is important to follow proper technique and instructions to ensure safe and effective treatment.