Single Slit Problems: 750nm Light & 2.0um Width

In summary, the problem asks for the angle at which 750nm light will produce a second minimum with a single-slit width of 2.0um. The equation used is Sin(theta)=n(lambda)/w, and the attempted solution is (theta)=sin-1(3x10^-6/2x10^-6). However, this leads to an error on the calculator because sin(theta) cannot be greater than 1. The correct answer is 49 degrees.
Quantum Fizzics

Homework Statement

At what angle will 750nm light produce a second minimum if the single-slit width is 2.0um

Homework Equations

Sin(theta)=n(lambda)/w

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got so far
(theta)=sin-1(3x10^-6/2x10^-6)

I don't understand why I keep getting error on my calculator, what am I doing wrong here please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Fizzics said:

Homework Statement

At what angle will 750nm light produce a second minimum if the single-slit width is 2.0um

Homework Equations

Sin(theta)=n(lambda)/w

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got so far
(theta)=sin-1(3x10^-6/2x10^-6)
the answer btw is 49degrees

Quantum Fizzics said:
I don't understand why I keep getting error on my calculator
It's because you are asking for an angle with sin > 1.
Where do you get 3x10^-6 from?

Related to Single Slit Problems: 750nm Light & 2.0um Width

1. What is a single slit problem?

A single slit problem is a phenomenon in which light is diffracted or bent as it passes through a narrow opening or slit. This can result in a pattern of light and dark bands, known as interference fringes, being observed on a screen behind the slit.

2. What is the significance of 750nm light in a single slit problem?

The wavelength of light has a direct impact on the diffraction pattern observed in a single slit problem. 750nm light falls in the visible spectrum and is commonly used in experiments to demonstrate diffraction patterns.

3. How does the width of the slit affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of the slit is directly proportional to the spacing of the interference fringes in the diffraction pattern. A wider slit will result in a wider spacing between fringes, while a narrower slit will result in a smaller spacing between fringes.

4. Why is 2.0um considered a narrow slit in this problem?

2.0um (micrometers) is considered a narrow slit because it is significantly smaller than the wavelength of light being used (750nm). When the width of the slit is comparable to the wavelength of light, the diffraction pattern becomes more complex and difficult to analyze.

5. Can single slit problems be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the principles of diffraction and interference observed in single slit problems can be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. However, the specific equations and calculations may differ depending on the properties of the wave being studied.