Single Phase Induction Motor -- 2 Questions

In summary, the conversation is about two questions regarding a circuit with two windings A1 A2 and B1 B2, and their corresponding flux and time lag. The first question asks about the direction of the flux in each winding, and the second question asks about the correct answer according to the double revolving field theory. The summary also mentions the possibility of a short circuit in winding B1 B2 and the lack of information given in the textbook.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-13_11-54-5.png

Question 2
upload_2018-1-13_11-54-55.png

Homework Equations

Flux time lag depends on L/R ratio. More resistance, less time lag.
Single Phase IM---Double Revolving field theory

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1st question, I think answer should be A. BB circuit has more resistance so BB Flux will have less time lag than AA flux. So flux will sweep from right horizontal to down vertical like along third quadrant towards the negative Y axis.

But book answer is D

For second question. I think answer is A as per double revolving field theory but book answer is C.
Are book answer wrong or am I wrong somewhere?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-13_11-54-5.png
    upload_2018-1-13_11-54-5.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 669
  • upload_2018-1-13_11-54-55.png
    upload_2018-1-13_11-54-55.png
    4 KB · Views: 685
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1st question, I think answer should be A. BB circuit has more resistance so BB Flux will have less time lag than AA flux. So flux will sweep from right horizontal to down vertical like along third quadrant towards the negative Y axis.

Rather than try to solve it by intuition
How about if you calculate
what is the current in each winding (flux will be in proportion)

what is their phase difference ?
Has author mentioned any minimum phase difference necessary to start the motor?
If not, i agree motor should rotate one direction or the other..
http://www.learnengineering.org/2013/08/rotating-magnetic-field-synchronous-speed-motor-single-phase.html

jaus tail said:
For second question. I think answer is A as per double revolving field theory ...

Unless he's allowing current to flow in the other winding, i'd say you're right. Has he hinted that winding B1 B2 is short circuited outside the motor ?

Likes jaus tail
These are questions at back of book. No other information is given only these questions with answers at end.

See my reply to your other thread. I'm losing confidence in that textbook. old jim

Likes jaus tail

Related to Single Phase Induction Motor -- 2 Questions

What is a single phase induction motor?

A single phase induction motor is a type of electric motor that operates on a single phase power supply. It is commonly used in home appliances and small industrial applications.

How does a single phase induction motor work?

A single phase induction motor works by using a single phase power supply to create a rotating magnetic field in the stator. This field interacts with the rotor, causing it to rotate and power the motor.