Single machine-Infinite bar (SMIB)

• Thread starter DianeS
  • Start date
In summary: I remember you telling me about a tool you used in your classes to find the Thevenin equivalent of a transmission line. Can you elaborate on what this tool is and how it works?In summary, Jim is asking about obtaining the Thevenin equivalent of a transmission line, and whether or not it is enough tosimulate a 1-phase or 3-phase short circuit. Dr. Gross recalls that power system oscillations were typically due to rotating inertia, system impedance, and voltage regulators. He advises Jim to ask a power system engineer for help.
DianeS
Greetings ladies and gentleman.
Well I'm trying to do some small-signal studies, and I'm familiar with the deMello-Concordia linearized model. As far as i know all the constants used in that model (K1-K6) depend on the system, and so they change as the system changes too. I have a large system with several synchronous machines and i want to obtain the SMIB model for one of those machines. So how do i obtain the external reactance connected to the infinite bar, representing the transmission line? I know this reactance corresponds to the Thevenin equivalent, but is there a way to obtain this value by using a power flow simulation software?

Or is it a good approach to assume this value to be zero?
Thanks a bunch

Engineering news on Phys.org
""So how do i obtain the external reactance connected to the infinite bar, representing the transmission line? I know this reactance corresponds to the Thevenin equivalent, but is there a way to obtain this value by using a power flow simulation software?""

what an interesting question.

I wish i had an answer for you.
In the utility where i worked we had a whole department dedicated to calculating just such things, and we just asked them. But the number depends on how many lines are in operation and how many units are connected.

I seem to recall they gave us per-unit numbers like 0.013 so i wouldn't use zero. It was however a lot less than the stepup transformer impedance.

Here's a link i found with some formulas, perhas you could approximate a reasonable line to get your simulation running then tweak it with real numbers from your utility's system people.

www.powerworld.com/Document%20Library/version.../TransCalcHelp.pdf[/URL]

"Power System Analysis" by Charles M Gross is a practical textbook.
Dr Gross was my instructor for some undergrad courses and he has a God-given talent for clear explanations. I saw his book in the bookcases of many engineers in that department i mentioned, they all spoke highly of it -- so ask among your colleagues, if you find a copy i think it'll have some practical examples worked out that are quite similar to your question.

Sorry I'm not an expert.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thank you Jim! I've been using DigSilent for this purpose, and i guess i'll just have to trust in it. By simulating a three phase short circuit, i can obtain the values for R and X, which i asume are Thevenin equivalent for positive sequence.

for what little this is worth --

our big steam turbine plant had natural frequency against system of ~ 1 hz
largely due to 17% main tansformer
i think that is typical

it also had main shaft resonance of 7 hz
so that was a frequency to avoid like the plague in anything connected to it.

we overdamped voltage regulator to calm system troubles (2/3 hz divergent oscillations) that were solved initially by power system stabilizers , finally by stouter transmission lines.

wish i could be more help.

good luck with your studies -
that is a field i watched "through the fence" like Charly in 'Flowers for Algernon'.

old jim

Well thanks Jim, i appreciate your help.
I'm now trying to find out which type of short circuit i should use to find the thevenin equivalent, because I've found that you can find a 3-phase or1-phase Thevenin equivalent and I'm not so sure if this is true.

By running a 1-phase short circuit i would find impedances in all 3 sequences. Is it enough to find only the positive sequence impedance by running a 3-phase short circuit in my software for the SMIB equivalent??

I'm also aware that for big systems Rthev is negligible so i can only consider Xthev in y analysis, and that this value is the inverse of the imaginary part of the short circuit current. But again which short circuit current? 1-phase or 3-phase?

Thanks again. Would like to get more people involved too. Don't be shy :P

""Is it enough to find only the positive sequence impedance by running a 3-phase short circuit in my software for the SMIB equivalent??
""

I wish i could answer that question.
My intuition says use the three phase
the power system guys i used to observe in 1980's were excited about new relay schemes that could interrupt one phase at a time for single line faults

so i would think your small signal studies would be focused on balanced three phase.
but that is a guess.

our power system oscillations were during steady state operation not fault induced.
came from interactions of rotating inertia, system impedance and voltage regulators.

Is there a genuine power system engineer in the house ?

Dr Gross - are you out there?
old jim hardy - UMR '69, your student for AC machinery

Related to Single machine-Infinite bar (SMIB)

1. What is a Single machine-Infinite bar (SMIB) model?

A Single machine-Infinite bar (SMIB) model is a simplified representation of the dynamics of a power system. It consists of a single generator connected to an infinite bus through a transmission line.

2. What are the main applications of the SMIB model?

The SMIB model is commonly used in power system stability studies, which aim to analyze the dynamic behavior of the power system under different operating conditions, disturbances, and control strategies.

3. What are the assumptions made in the SMIB model?

The SMIB model assumes that the generator and transmission line are represented by lumped parameters, neglecting the physical characteristics of the components. It also assumes that the infinite bus has a constant voltage and frequency, and the generator is connected to the bus through a transformer with a fixed turns ratio.

4. What are the advantages of using the SMIB model?

The SMIB model allows for a simplified analysis of the power system dynamics, making it easier to understand and interpret the results. It also provides a good approximation for small disturbances and is computationally efficient.

5. What are the limitations of the SMIB model?

The SMIB model does not take into account the effects of complex power system components, such as loads, multiple generators, and different types of transmission lines. It also assumes a constant voltage and frequency at the infinite bus, which may not always be the case in real-world systems.