Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment

In summary, the two experiments [1, 2] claiming to have observed double slit interference pattern of a SINGLE electron showed that there could not have been more than one electron present at the same time in the apparatus. The probability of more than one electron being present was deemed negligible. However, the rational for this claim was not fully explained and it was unclear how the experimenters ensured that the electrons passed through the apparatus one by one. The article mentioned that the electrons were fired at a rate of 1000 per second with an average interval of 100 times more than the time each electron is in the apparatus. It was not clear how the experimenters controlled the electrons to be fired one by one. Additionally, the interpretation of electron current
Xverse
In the two well referenced experiments [1, 2] that claimed to have observed double slit interference pattern of SINGLE electron, the central claim is that there could not have been more than ONE electron present at the same time in the apparatus (or such probability is negligible).

However, can anyone explain their rational for that claim? I read the original paper [2], and a commentary on paper [1], but I cannot get a good understanding on how the experimenters made sure (or reasoned) that the electrons passed through the apparatus ONE by ONE (a concept to me even contradictory to the very implication claimed by them - the wave nature of electrons).

If the presence of more than ONE electron at the same time is excluded with a high probability but not absolute certainty, how is this probability computed?

1. Merli, P. G., Missiroli, G. F., and Pozzi, G. [1974]: `Electron Interferometry with the Elmiskop 101 Electron Microscope', Journal of Physics E: Scientic Instruments, 7, pp. 729–732.

2. Tonomura, A., Endo, J., Matsuda, T., Kawasaki, T., and Ezawa, H. [1989]: `Demonstration of Single-Electron Buildup of an Interference Pattern', American Journal of Physics, 57, pp. 117–120.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xverse said:
2. Tonomura, A., Endo, J., Matsuda, T., Kawasaki, T., and Ezawa, H. [1989]: `Demonstration of Single-Electron Buildup of an Interference Pattern', American Journal of Physics, 57, pp. 117–120.

See if this link will get you the article:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...sg=AFQjCNEee9vP5ISCBC0b0gjp6zdvH42EbA&cad=rja

They mention in the article that the electrons were fired at the rate of 1000 per second. The distance from the source to the detector was 1.5 meters. And at the speed the electron travels, the average interval between successive electrons was 100 times more than the time each is in the apparatus.

Yes, but that works only if they can control the electrons to be fired ONE by ONE every 1000th of a second. How did they do that? I did not find any clue from the original paper.

My understanding of the argument is that all they did was to control the electrons at a current ~1muA, so roughly 1000 electrons/sec by definition. However, why does that imply that the electrons are fired into the apparatus SUCCESSIVELY? The current intensity is a CLASSIC macroscopic quantity on the collective movement of the electrons. It seems that the authors used a very classic interpretation of electron current, that a current is made up by electrons that are lined up in a single file and are fired by one by one. How can such a interpretation be consistent with the interpretation they made on the result of the experiment?

Can you offer me your view on that?

Last edited:
Xverse said:
Yes, but that works only if they can control the electrons to be fired ONE by ONE every 1000th of a second. How did they do that? I did not find any clue from the original paper.

My understanding of the argument is that all they did was to control the electrons at a current ~1muA, so roughly 1000 electrons/sec by definition. However, why does that imply that the electrons are fired into the apparatus SUCCESSIVELY? The current intensity is a CLASSIC macroscopic quantity on the collective movement of the electrons. It seems that the authors used a very classic interpretation of electron current, that a current is made up by electrons that are lined up in a single file and are fired by one by one. How can such a interpretation be consistent with the interpretation they made on the result of the experiment?

Can you offer me your view on that?

Sure. They noted that on the average, electrons arrived too far apart to be in the apparatus at the same time. It doesn't need to get any more complicated. If you are asking whether ANY of the electrons arrived too close on the heels of its predecessor: I guess that is *possible* given their description, although it really wouldn't make any sense. And certainly wouldn't affect the results in a manner which would produce this kind of interference. If 2 arrived too closely, they would repel rather than interfere.

As to the idea that there are classical electrons lined up to be fired: All they need is some kind of source that gets them out one at a time.

Related to Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment

What is the Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment?

The Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment is a thought experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of electrons. It involves firing individual electrons through a barrier with two slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on the other side.

What is the significance of this experiment?

This experiment provides evidence for the wave-like nature of electrons and supports the theory of quantum mechanics. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level and has implications for various fields, including electronics and quantum computing.

How does the interference pattern in this experiment differ from the classic double-slit experiment?

In the classic double-slit experiment, a beam of light or a stream of particles is used, resulting in a continuous interference pattern. In the Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment, individual electrons are fired, and over time, the interference pattern is still observed, but it builds up gradually as more and more electrons are fired.

What factors affect the interference pattern in the Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment?

The interference pattern is affected by the distance between the two slits, the distance from the slits to the detector, and the energy of the electrons being fired. It is also influenced by the environment, such as the presence of other particles or electromagnetic fields.

What other experiments have been inspired by the Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment?

The Single Electron D-slit Interference Experiment has inspired various experiments in the field of quantum mechanics, including the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment and the quantum Cheshire cat experiment. These experiments continue to push our understanding of the quantum world and its mysterious properties.