Single Cycle Pressure Test for Pressure Vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a pressure test to simulate 8000 cycles on a given pressure vessel. The equations found do not account for the high number of cycles, leading to the need for a metal fatigue analysis. It is noted that a single cycle overpressure test can be used to test static strength, but not fatigue strength. A suggested reading is the accident report for the De Havilland Comet airliner, which shows the effects of overpressure tests on fatigue testing.
Jschrodes4

Homework Statement

I need to design a pressure test that, in one cycle, will simulate the 8000 cycles that a given pressure vessel will undergo. I know the dimensions and material of the vessel, the number of pressure cycles it will undergo, and the max and min working pressures.

Homework Equations

I found a variety of different equations, but they generally look like this: Testing Pressure = 1.5 x Max Allowable Working Pressure. However, none of these equations take into consideration the high number of cycles the vessel will have to undergo so I don't think they will work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not yet attempted a full solution as I am not sure if the equations I've found are applicable to what I need to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your profile indicates that you are currently an undergrad, this is apparently a homework problem. I would refer you to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, but that runs to some 16,000 pages. You are correct in that what you have found so far does not take into account cyclic loading.

You have a metal fatigue analysis problem, and a basic introduction to metal fatigue takes a full semester senior level course. You can test the static strength by a single cycle overpressure test, but not the fatigue strength. A good read is the accident report for the De Havilland Comet airliner. Here's one link: https://web.archive.org/web/20091026195856/http://geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/fcogalyp.htm. Note especially how and why a few overpressure tests caused the initial fatigue test fuselage to last much longer.

Likes berkeman

Related to Single Cycle Pressure Test for Pressure Vessel

What is a single cycle pressure test for pressure vessel?

A single cycle pressure test for pressure vessel is a type of nondestructive testing method used to evaluate the strength and integrity of a pressure vessel. It involves pressurizing the vessel to a specific level and monitoring for any leaks or deformations.

Why is a single cycle pressure test important?

A single cycle pressure test is important because it helps ensure the safety and reliability of pressure vessels. Pressure vessels are used in a variety of industries, including oil and gas, chemical, and manufacturing, and any failures could result in serious consequences. This test helps detect any weaknesses or defects in the vessel before it is put into service.

How is a single cycle pressure test performed?

A single cycle pressure test is typically performed by filling the vessel with a liquid or gas, such as water or air, and pressurizing it to a specific level. The pressure is then held for a certain amount of time while the vessel is inspected for any leaks or deformations. Once the test is complete, the pressure is released and the vessel is drained.

What are the advantages of a single cycle pressure test?

One advantage of a single cycle pressure test is that it can be performed quickly compared to other nondestructive testing methods. It also does not require any special equipment or highly trained personnel, making it a cost-effective option. Additionally, it can detect any defects or weaknesses in the vessel that may not be visible to the naked eye.

Are there any limitations to a single cycle pressure test?

Yes, there are some limitations to a single cycle pressure test. It may not be suitable for certain types of pressure vessels, such as those with complex shapes or small openings. It also cannot detect internal defects, so it should be used in conjunction with other testing methods for a comprehensive evaluation of the vessel's integrity.