Share Your Thoughts on Useless Mathematical Equation

• Thread starter dink
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the discovery of a pattern in which the sum of consecutive natural numbers is equal to the highest whole number median of an odd integer multiplied by the integer itself. The conversation also touches on the application and significance of this discovery.
dink
I found this scratching away on a piece of cardboard today. I thought I might troll the board and see what people think. Bare with me for I sometimes have trouble expressing what's in my head in words.

As follows:
Take the highest whole number median of an odd integer x and multiply it by said integer and the answer is equal to the sum of the counting number integers between 1 and x included 1 and x.

Example:
Assume x = 17
Highest median of 17 = 9
9 * 17 = 153
1+2+3+4+...+15+16+17 = 153

I've also found this works for even numbers assuming median + (1/2)(or -1/2 if integer x is negative).

Its a lot of blah blah blah and I don't see any applications, perhaps even missing something blatantly obvious(it is rather late after all). Share what you think. Thanks for reading.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi

What you have discovered is just this:

The sum of consecutive natural nos is n(n+1)/2. And the median is basically the middle value. And the sum of n natural nos satisfies this. I think ur discovery is evident from the formula. It is nothing new, but, anyway, a good observation. Keep Trying. All the Best.

Sridhar

You can also think of it like this:

If you want to add, say, numbers 1 through 50:

1+2+3+4+...+47+48+49+50

you can rearrange them as follows:

(1+50) + (2+49) + (3+46) + ... + (25+26)

which are exactly 25 numbers, all equal to 51, hence, the sum is

51 * 25, or (50+1)*50/2

"bare with me"? Not likely!

You confuse things by talking about the "median" of a number.

Sets of numbers have medians, not individual numbers. Of course you meant the "median of the set of numbers 1, 2, ..., n". Of course, for a simple set like that, the median is the same as the mean. Pretty much by definition, multiplying the mean of a set of numbers by the cardinality of the set (I just could bring myself to write "the number of numbers in the set"!), n+1, gives you the sum of all the numbers.

If you had said "mean" instead of "median", it would have been obvious.

Thanks for your replies. Your posts remind me of the mathematical induction chapters in a few of my math books. I think my programming classes are overwriting the nerons in my brain.

1. What is a useless mathematical equation?

A useless mathematical equation is an equation that has no practical or meaningful application in the real world. It may be mathematically correct, but it does not have any practical significance or purpose.

2. Why are useless mathematical equations studied?

Useless mathematical equations are often studied for their aesthetic or intellectual appeal. Some mathematicians may also study them as a way to explore the limits of mathematical concepts and theories.

3. Can a useless mathematical equation become useful in the future?

It is possible that a seemingly useless mathematical equation may become useful in the future as new technologies and applications are developed. However, this is not always the case and many equations remain useless even after further advancements in mathematics.

4. Are there any benefits to studying useless mathematical equations?

Studying useless mathematical equations can help improve critical thinking skills and creativity. It also allows mathematicians to explore unconventional ideas and think outside the box.

5. How are useless mathematical equations different from other equations?

Useless mathematical equations are different from other equations in that they lack practical applications and do not contribute to solving real-world problems. They are often considered more abstract and theoretical in nature.