Sin i / sin r graph from ray through glass block

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving shining a light ray through a glass block at different angles and measuring the corresponding angles of incidence and emergence. The goal is to plot a graph using the average values of the incident and emergent angles. The question arises about how to handle the average values, as the protractor used for measurement is only accurate to one degree. It is determined that using the average values will improve the overall accuracy and that the accuracy can be further examined by looking at the "best" and "worst" values of the gradient.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

I have done the light ray through a glass block experiment at different angles.

I've taken the measurement for i1 which is from the incident ray. and i2 which is from the emergent ray. Then I have to take the average of i1 and i2 and then plot a graph using the average value.

I have to of course do this for various incident angles and their corresponding emergent angles. So it'll be a sin i over sin r graph.

However, if I measure an incident angle i1 to be 15 degrees and the corresponding i2 emergent to be 16, then that means the average will be 15.5 degrees. I have to plot the graph using average values.

However the protractor only measures to an accuracy of 1 degree, so would I be correct in plotting using the value for sin16 as opposed to plotting for sin15.5 ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why you are taking an average of the incident and emergent angles.
The graph uses a list of values of i and plots them against the corresponding values of r.
Are you sure the instruction was not "average values of i" plotted against "average values of r", where each value of i and r is the result of an average taken of a number of measurements.

Hi,
sorry I probably haven't worded my question very well.

The experiment consisted of shining a light ray throught the glass block at various incident angles.

Each different i1 angle would be measured and recorded and its corresponding i2 angle measured and recorded. The i2 being the emergent angle with the normal. Then I would take the average of these two (both would of course be very similar) and plot the average value.

The sin of these would be plotted against the sin of the average refractive angles. That is, the sin of the average of the refractive angle at the incident and the refractive angle at the emergent.

So its just a standard sin i over sin r graph.

Though when finding the average sin i values there is the following problem.

I measure an incident i1 angle of, for example, 40 degrees and then measure the i2 angle for the same light ray. i2 being its emergent ray angle aginst the normal. Though this i2 value is, say 41 degrees.

So I take an average of the two and I have to plot the sin value of the average on a graph. Though the average is 40.5 degrees. I'm thinking for this I should plot using a value which is the sin of 41 degrees (rounding up) instead of plotting using a value of sin 40.5 degrees.

Since the protractor cannot measure to an accuracy of 0.5 degrees.

There wouldn't be this problem if, for example, the I1 value was 50 and the I2 52 since the average is 51. That is, a whole number which the protractor can measure to an accuracy of.

I see.
The reason for taking the average of say, 40 and 41 is to improve the overall accuracy of the measurements. Even though the protractor only has a scale with one degree graduations, you can use the value 40.5 in your sin and graph. There would be no point in taking the average of the 2 values if you then rounded up or down to the nearest scale value.
In addition, by taking readings for a number of different values of i and r, and drawing a graph of sin i against sin r, you are also using these multiple readings to increase the accuracy when you measure the gradient.
You can look at the overall probable accuracy of your value at the end by examining the "best" and "worst" values of the gradient.

Thanks

Stonebridge said:
I see.
The reason for taking the average of say, 40 and 41 is to improve the overall accuracy of the measurements.
That's right, yes.

And it would be done for various incident angles 20, 30, 40 etc and taking the corresponding i angle at the emergent, and then taking the individual averages. The intention being that each i value and each r value is more accurate.

Stonebridge said:
Even though the protractor only has a scale with one degree graduations, you can use the value 40.5 in your sin and graph. There would be no point in taking the average of the 2 values if you then rounded up or down to the nearest scale value.
That's what was puzzling me as we previously covered in class how various measuring instruments are only accurate to various amounts. Since the protractor is only accurate to one degree I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to take the sin of a degree which included a half degree.

Stonebridge said:
In addition, by taking readings for a number of different values of i and r, and drawing a graph of sin i against sin r, you are also using these multiple readings to increase the accuracy when you measure the gradient.
Ok

Stonebridge said:
You can look at the overall probable accuracy of your value at the end by examining the "best" and "worst" values of the gradient.
Thanks, yes that's part of the homework too. Thanks again Stonebridge. It's very much appreciated! :smile:

Related to Sin i / sin r graph from ray through glass block

1. What is a "Sin i / sin r graph from ray through glass block"?

A "Sin i / sin r graph from ray through glass block" is a graphical representation of the relationship between the angle of incidence (i) and the angle of refraction (r) when a ray of light passes through a glass block. It is used to illustrate Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is a constant value for a given pair of media.

2. How is the "Sin i / sin r graph" constructed?

The graph is constructed by plotting the values of sin i and sin r on the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. The angle of incidence is varied and the corresponding angle of refraction is calculated using Snell's law. The points are then plotted and a line of best fit is drawn to represent the relationship between the two variables.

3. What does the slope of the "Sin i / sin r graph" represent?

The slope of the graph represents the refractive index of the glass block. It is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media in contact with the glass block. This value is constant for a given pair of media and is a measure of how much the light bends as it passes through the glass block.

4. How does the "Sin i / sin r graph" change for different materials?

The shape of the graph remains the same for all materials, but the slope and intercept of the line will vary depending on the refractive indices of the materials. Materials with a higher refractive index will have a steeper slope on the graph, indicating a larger change in the angle of refraction for a given change in the angle of incidence.

5. What real-life applications use the "Sin i / sin r graph"?

The "Sin i / sin r graph" has many real-life applications, such as in the design of lenses for glasses and cameras, in determining the critical angle for total internal reflection, and in understanding the behavior of light in fiber optic cables. It is also used in the study of optics and in the development of technologies such as lasers and optical fibers.