Sin and Cos frequency Question

In summary, the phase of a cosine wave is at pi/2, while the phase of a sinine wave is at 3 pi/2. The amplitude of a cosine wave is 1, but the amplitude of a sinine wave is -1/(2j). The magnitude of a cosine wave is 1, but the magnitude of a sinine wave is -1/(2j).
frenzal_dude
Hi, if cosine and sine waves are exactly the same wave except cosine starts earlier in time, why do they have different Fourier Transforms? I know the cos would have an impulse at f=Fc with amplitude of 1, and sin would have an impulse at f=Fc and amplitude of 1/j. I don't understand why the amplitude of the sine goes complex in the amplitude spectrum just from having a different phase.

Hope you guys can explain it to me :)
Dave

Engineering news on Phys.org
frenzal_dude said:
Hi, if cosine and sine waves are exactly the same wave except cosine starts earlier in time, why do they have different Fourier Transforms? I know the cos would have an impulse at f=Fc with amplitude of 1, and sin would have an impulse at f=Fc and amplitude of 1/j. I don't understand why the amplitude of the sine goes complex in the amplitude spectrum just from having a different phase.

Hope you guys can explain it to me :)
Dave

The MAGNITUDE of the Fourier Transform (|F(w)|) remains the same. The phase is what changes, according to the translation property:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform#Basic_properties

You can try this for yourself when you compare the Fourier transform of cos(x-pi/2) with the transform of sin(x), realizing that they have exactly the same graph.

When you say the amplitude changes (by a factor of j) realize that the magnitude hasn't changed, but phase has.

From a heuristic point of view, a Fourier transform is invertible; there is no information lost. The Fourier transform of a Fourier transform returns the original function (or is it the negative of it?) Something has to encode phase information to distinguish cos from sin. As phi increases from 0 to 2pi the amplitude of cos(x+phi) rotates through the complex plane.

So basically if you take the FT of sin(2piFct) you'd get 2 impulses, one at f=-Fc with amplitude of -1/(2j), and one at f=Fc with amplitude +1/(2j).

So in the single sided spectrum you'd get an impulse with f=Fc and magnitude 1/j.

Does this mean that the amplitude is actually 1, but with a phase of pi/2 (because 1/j is on the +ve imaginary axis which corresponds to pi/2)?

But what if you multiply 1/j by j/j, you'd end up with -j which would then mean you have an amplitude of 1 with a phase of 3pi/2 because it's now on the -ve imaginary axis?

Wait I think I get it now. So if you take the FT of sin(2piFct) you can see from the frequency domain that your function is made up of one Cosine with a frequency of f=Fc, and with an amplitude of 1, and with a phase of pi/2 or 3pi/2 (since cos(pi/2)=cos(3pi/2)=0).

Yes, 1/j = -j.

Rather than trust memory, I used Mathematica which came up with the following:

The transform of sin(2pi Fc t) has an amplitude of j sqrt(pi/2) DiracDelta at f=Fc,
The amplitude is -j sqrt(pi/2) DiracDelta at f=-Fc, where Fc is positive, real.

Essentially you're in agreement. Your phases agree. I don't what a unit impulse amplitude should be.

To establish a unit impulse you might use

FourierTransform[Exp(-j t omega)= Sqrt(2/pi) DiracDelta(omega-1),

or you may already using something different.

For your double sided spectrum, how did you get -j sqrt(pi/2) at f=-Fc. Isn't the amplitude just -1/(2j) (from Euler's Formula) ?

A Fourier transform can be defined in several ways. The choice of defintion effects the amplitude. Mathematica uses

F(omega) = 1/(Sqrt[2pi]) Integral[f(t)ej omega t] dt

This is why I was questioning what a unit impulse was in your definition.

ahk, that's a bit different to what we got taught in Signal Theory.
Here's the formula we use:

[tex]
G(f)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty }g(t)e^{-j2\pi ft}dt[/tex]

A unit impulse (from what my lecturer says) is just a straight line with amplitude of 1 at a certain frequency Fc.

frenzal_dude said:
ahk, that's a bit different to what we got taught in Signal Theory.
Here's the formula we use:

[tex]
G(f)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty }g(t)e^{-j2\pi ft}dt[/tex]

A unit impulse (from what my lecturer says) is just a straight line with amplitude of 1 at a certain frequency Fc.

OK. I errored and left the negative sign out of the exponent by the way. omega = 2 pi F, so that is unchanged.

The unit amplitude should be a scaled Dirac delta function. A Dirac delta function has unit area and zero width. So a pure sine wave has "infinite amplitude". Normalizing this to one doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless you are only dealing with linear combinations of sine waves. Talk to your lecturer about this.

This is something my lecturer couldn't even explain. Apparantely a dirac delta function aka unit impulse, has infinite amplitude and 0 width, with unit area.

So why do they talk about sin and cos functions having a frequency content with 2 impulse functions with a height of 1/2 or 1/(2j) when the height has to be infinite?

Let's look at the impulse areas instead. In your units each impulse has an area of one half. The total area is one.

|j/2| Integral[Dirac Delta] + |-j/2| Integral[Dirac Delta]

The integral is taken over all frequencies.

Related to Sin and Cos frequency Question

1. What are Sin and Cos frequencies?

Sin and Cos are mathematical functions used to describe the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle. They represent the ratios of the lengths of the sides and the angles of the triangle. The frequency of a Sin or Cos function is a measure of how often the function repeats itself over a given period of time.

2. How are Sin and Cos frequencies related?

Sin and Cos functions are closely related, as they are both derived from the same underlying mathematical principles. The Cos function is simply a phase-shifted version of the Sin function, meaning that they have the same frequency but differ in their starting points.

3. How do Sin and Cos frequencies affect sound and light waves?

In sound and light waves, the frequency represents the number of cycles (or peaks) that occur in one second. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitched sounds or brighter light, while lower frequencies correspond to lower pitched sounds or dimmer light.

4. What is the unit of measurement for Sin and Cos frequencies?

The unit of measurement for Sin and Cos frequencies is Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. For example, a frequency of 1 Hz means that one cycle occurs every second, while a frequency of 100 Hz means that 100 cycles occur in one second.

5. How are Sin and Cos frequencies used in real-world applications?

Sin and Cos frequencies have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to describe and analyze various phenomena, such as waves, vibrations, and oscillations. They are also used in signal processing and digital communication to encode and transmit information.