The most direct proof of reality

In summary: A proof of reality is possible, for example, the laws of physics are a testament to reality. But I understand that I am subjective and really can't say that I am correct or not. But then again, if I don't believe in reality, I am only left with a belief, not a fact. There is no law of physics that suggests that we should doubt reality. There is no law of reality, it just is. Is there a law of reality? 3) Pain, once again. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I am able to feel pain, and that pain is different for everyone. I am not the best person to ask, as I
Loren Booda
1. Briefly define "reality."

2. Is a "proof" of reality possible?

3. Relate your most direct proof of reality.

4. Does, or how does, that differ from a God-proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings !

1. Everything I think about. Wether it is
input from the senses or simply thoughts.

2. No. No absolute proof is possible.

3 - 4. Guess...:wink:

Live long and prosper.

1) Reality is defined by what we "perceive."

2) The fact that I "perceive" reality will have to suffice.

3) If I were to punch you in the nose would it hurt? Of course you may wish to "perceive" otherwise, but that's entirely up to you.

4) If God is the reality then I should be able to "perceive" Him too.

1) Reality is the Paradox of Existence.

2) Yes.

3) Reductio ad absurdum, that is, it is the height of absurdity to say "I do not exist, I am not real".

4) It's more personal and does not require the supernatural.

Originally posted by Loren Booda

1. I define "reality" as matter in eternal motion, without begin or time. Matter and motion/change are indistinguishable. Motion does not exist without matter, matter doesn't exist without motion. Space and time are "modes of existence" of matter.

2. This is like asking "why does something (anything at all) exist, rather then nothing". This is a peculiar question, and some ways of answering it is that the question itself is without meaning, or that it can not be answered (an question like "why is it the case that A" requires an answer of the type "because B is the case", but because of the nature of the question, we can absolutely assume nothing for any answer B, so it is unanswerable. The fact that material existence "is there" is a basic assumption, it can not be proofed. But there isn't any other viable assumption then that, other then that I assume only the existence of my own mind, and nothing else (=solipsism).

3. See 2. And above that, I know that I exist (direct evidence), I ecperience the world, so I have to assume the existence of an outside world, which correlates to my experience of the world. When you are not caught up in circular reasoning (which redirect you that all the outside world is only established by your senses, and that the awareness of these senses is happening within my mind) you have to accept the reality of the material world.

4. Since God is only a symbol, and may for some relate to 'mystical experience' we do not have normal perception of this higher being, it is only a construct of our mind, and not something real. God is not a normal being, in that it exist in time and space, something we can witness as material existence, it is a form of being out of time and space, so it belongs to a category of existence of the mind.

Greetings !
Originally posted by wuliheron
1) Reality is the Paradox of Existence.

2) Yes.
I agree with that in this form.
3) Reductio ad absurdum, that is, it is the height of absurdity to say "I do not exist, I am not real".
Provided I is defined as existence.
4) It's more personal and does not require the supernatural.
I disagree. It's the difference between something that
can not be disproved and something that requires
proof.

Live long and prosper.

(1) I am.
if this isn't reality, then there is no reality at all.
(2)it's originally obvious. no need to prove it.
you could deny the validity of the words i use ("I" and "to be"), but that wouldn't prove me wrong. denying my words or even their content would cut the basis of reasonable argument.

(x)from this own reality i can in terms of living in it, derive to a reality of world around me, our shared reality. this reality of world around me gets less obvious, the more the reality of this world around me differs from myself as a living beeing and organism. on this reality of world, i depend on a mixture of reason and experience.

..but i differenciate reality into
our human reality, our world, we experience on the one hand, and
properties or characteristics, world beyond this might have, unknown (part of ~) world. what is (not: seems) real to us needn't necessarily be essential to world as a whole.

(4) (what's "God"? :) ) God, if ever, to me is =everything, =nature (of everything). it's a concept in my mind, a way of looking at world. i wouldn't see this as a matter of proof. (i wouldn't even call it "God". actually, i don't call anything "God"..).

Provided I is defined as existence.

I don't define "I" as existence. However, I do conceed it may be ultimately indistinguishable from the paradox of existence.

I disagree. It's [#4] the difference between something that
can not be disproved and something that requires
proof.

I don't know if the paradox of existence can be proven or disproven. However, it is self-evident and does constitute emperical evidence. Existence is the only miracle I need, and the one that makes all others possible in my life, including the possible existence of a creator. Thus, it is the most self-evident and personal and does not necessitate the supernatural, yet does not deny its possibility either.

great thread Loren...

1) Reality to me is what I am verify outside myself that is objective. Of course we are relying on our five senses to determine this objective reality, but what else do we as a human kindred have? Reality stretches as far as our senses allow to go. If a blind person is able to hear a dog barking, and I am able to see the dog barking but have a loss of hearing, most likely the dog is REALLY barking.

As for pain, that is something felt, the degree of pain I experience is subjective depending on my own ability of handling it. Although it certainly feels real, when you take a pain killer, it is no longer there.

2) Proof of reality is what more then 1 person can verify together as consistent outside of themselves. If you, me and Jill see a pink spotted pygmy goat chomping on the dandelions, (assuming that hallucinogenics and other medications are not involved), we can all three verify that it is real. The more people you have to verify reality, the more reliable the proof.

3) My most direct proof of reality? Raising 2 young children.

4) God-proof? I believe our intuition, intelligence, and instinct is equivalent to "God", and this is what we are relying upon to verify reality.

3)

Nice thread, Loren.

"Reality" would be the state of existing. IOW, there is nothing that isn't real, because even if it doesn't physically exist, it can conceptually exist, and is thus real

I think so. (Let's see who catches what I meant by this statement).

Do you mean proof of their being a reality at all?

I guess I'd have to understand question #3 better, before I can answer this question.

What dog? What Universe?

Some seek "God". Others ask "What PROOF that God exists."

Others can't even bring themselves to say that the Universe Itself exists!

Some people don't even think THEY exist!

How does one hold a discussion with people who are chasing their tails?

"Reality" can never be fully known by anyone person (I think), but that doesn't mean that NOTHING EXISTS!

From our (human) standpoint, reality is mostly PERCEPTION...the stories we tell ourselves about what is and what happens.

It's, of course, ALL THEORY...but it's the Best Game In Town...short of evolution itself.

Those who observe that we CAN'T KNOW are conversation-stoppers. Only the conscious Universe can know fully what It is...and It's "knowing" in part comes from thought and discourse among the sentient beings It has bothered to generate within Itself.

Accurate definition requires reason. The definition of reality is a definition of reality's source - its absolute-source. Thus, any definitions of reality must be of absolute-reason.
Absolute-logic is possible, yes.
I abstain.
It doesn't.

"Reality" can never be fully known by anyone person (I think), but that doesn't mean that NOTHING EXISTS!

From our (human) standpoint, reality is mostly PERCEPTION...the stories we tell ourselves about what is and what happens.

It's, of course, ALL THEORY...but it's the Best Game In Town...short of evolution itself.

Those who observe that we CAN'T KNOW are conversation-stoppers. Only the conscious Universe can know fully what It is...and It's "knowing" in part comes from thought and discourse among the sentient beings It has bothered to generate within Itself.

Those who reject absurdity or anything else for that matter are conversation stoppers. Those who observe, such as scientists and philosophers, generate conversation.

Touche' Wuli

I reject absurdity, too...and so have stopped many a conversation myself.

The only absurdities I don't seem to reject are my OWN.

Will be back to see if you're including MY thoughts in that category.

Meanwhile, I'm screamin' and shoutin' like mad!

Gotta go.

Originally posted by M. Gaspar

It's, of course, ALL THEORY...

Abstain from using the word, "Theory", in this manner. I assume you meant "speculation", but the use of the word "theory" confuses the issue.

Mentat...

I'm willing to do that if you will briefly offer the distinction speculation and theory (tho I could guess what you're about to say... and probably AGREE with you). Thanks.

I'm willing to do that if you will briefly offer the distinction speculation and theory (tho I could guess what you're about to say... and probably AGREE with you). Thanks.

It's just a little pet peeve of mine, so I thank you for listening.

"Theory" is the last step of the Scientific Method, after the hypothesis (or speculation) has been rigorously tested by experimentation.

Mentat...

Any ideas how one might go about "proving" that the Universe is a living, conscious Entity? Give me a push...

Any ideas how one might go about "proving" that the Universe is a living, conscious Entity? Give me a push...

Who said anything about it being living, or conscious?

Me.

Start a thread then, I think this question is off-topic, as far as this thread goes.

Originally posted by Mentat
Who said anything about it being living, or conscious?
'The Universe' is existant. And, at some levels at least, it is aware.

Mentat...

Done.

Mentat
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean proof of their being a reality at all?
More like proof of there being a reality at all, derived from one's most pervasive experience with it.

Touche' Wuli
I reject absurdity, too...and so have stopped many a conversation myself.

The only absurdities I don't seem to reject are my OWN.

Will be back to see if you're including MY thoughts in that category.

Meanwhile, I'm screamin' and shoutin' like mad!

Gotta go.

Don't forget to run in circles! That's half the fun. :0)

Originally posted by Lifegazer
Accurate definition requires reason. The definition of reality is a definition of reality's source - its absolute-source. Thus, any definitions of reality must be of absolute-reason.

Absolute-logic is possible, yes.

I abstain.

It doesn't.

The way we as humans can think and reason about existence does not provide for the ability for absolute reasons. We can and never will establish absolute reason, which doesn't mean our way of reasoning isn't any good or can't progress, just that it isn't and can't be absolute. It would require us to reason outside of our own existence, which is clearly impossible. Our form of reason is determined by our "human-ness".
The thinking about God is a form of absolute, and therefore absurd reasonings, and clearly a "proof of God" is not to be taken to reemble a proof of reality, cause there is nothing beyond or besides reality.

Originally posted by heusdens
The way we as humans can think and reason about existence does not provide for the ability for absolute reasons.
I disagree. The Reason of the Whole is quite clearly gleaned from an analysis of its parts.
For example: All 'parts' of existence are caused by something-else within that existence. And since 'nothing' can be a cause for (nor an abode of) any future-state of existence, we can quite reasonably state that the Whole is itself without cause, and hence eternal.
... I see nothing to discredit such an example of absolute-reason. You may argue about the 'substance' of that whole. However, this does not detract from the fact that the whole is eternal, whatever it may be.

I disagree. The Reason of the Whole is quite clearly gleaned from an analysis of its parts.
For example: All 'parts' of existence are caused by something-else within that existence. And since 'nothing' can be a cause for (nor an abode of) any future-state of existence, we can quite reasonably state that the Whole is itself without cause, and hence eternal.
... I see nothing to discredit such an example of absolute-reason. You may argue about the 'substance' of that whole. However, this does not detract from the fact that the whole is eternal, whatever it may be.

This kind of reason I have presented you a number of times, but in other post you seem to argue against this, cause you don't accept the consequence of infinite time for example.

What you have pointed out though is that there is a contradiction in the way the world exists, and the world could not go without it.

So the only way we can reason about the world, is in terms of dialectical reasoning. But I would not call that "absolute" reasoning.

'The Universe' is existant. And, at some levels at least, it is aware.

I don't like when people talk about the universe as though it were one entity (and, of course, I am doing so right now - for the purpose of making my point), "it" is, in fact, a collection of all entities. So, perhaps, you shouldn't speak of "it" (the collection of everything) as being aware at some levels, but many of the things in it are aware.

Done.

You are a scholar and a gentleman (except on the chance that you are female, in which case "... a lady").

MentatMore like proof of there being a reality at all, derived from one's most pervasive experience with it.

Well, proof of their being a reality is that I exist (see "I think therefore I am", before trying to prove that I don't exist), and I experience things, so obviously there is a reality. Whether that "reality" is just subjective, or whether there is actually something objective, is a subject of "lifegazer-ish" discussion. Whether it (reality/existence) is logical/rational, is the subject of many Wu Li-ish discussions.

Well, proof of their being a reality is that I exist (see "I think therefore I am", before trying to prove that I don't exist), and I experience things, so obviously there is a reality. Whether that "reality" is just subjective, or whether there is actually something objective, is a subject of "lifegazer-ish" discussion. Whether it (reality/existence) is logical/rational, is the subject of many Wu Li-ish discussions.

I stink, therefore I am.

A La Carte

Great behinds stink alike.

De Carte

Stink and be happy!

annonymous

I stink, therefore I am.

A La Carte

Great behinds stink alike.

De Carte

Stink and be happy!

annonymous

You sicken me (sometimes).

Mentat...

I'm a gentleman (or lady) on THIS thread...and a bum on another!

Let me become a bum here, too.

Mentat: We're you just arguing with me on another thread that the universe does NOT tend toward coherency...and then you say It's a collection of all entities. Don't you think the "collection" is sort of COHERENT?

Are your pieces flying off? Mine aren't. Oh, maybe some dead skin or some energy here and there, but mostly, I'm holding up pretty well.

So is the planet (so far). And the sun. And the galaxy. Etc.

They are look pretty COHERENT to me.

Just what about coherency troubles you?

Finally (I don't really mean that), I regret that you don't like it when people speak of the Universe as ONE ENTITY. But let's face it: If my definition of the Universe is (among other things) "Everything That IS ..then even other dimensions and so-called "other universes" would be part of the Entity that is Everything That IS.

no...briefly is not reality
i tell a story from the buddhism...
3 poor litter boy go to buy a oil...they undergo the same thing
when they take back the oil, they fall down
and the oil is flow out...
the first boy back home and cry...this call pessimistic
the second boy just laughing and feel nothing...this call optimistic
the last boy back home and tell her family the true and say he will go to working and earn a money to get back the oil...this call realistic...

Cute story, Newton, but...

"Realistic" is an adjective that might describe the boys attitude about what needs to be done to replace the oil.

"Reality" is a noun that refers to what is REAL or what actually EXISTS... as opposed to what may be "just in our heads."

English is tricky. Be careful. You may spill your oil. :wink: