Simultaneous Equations Alternate Approach

In summary: Yes, but you have to notice that both adding and subtracting the equations are useful, in the first place
hackedagainanda
Homework Statement
Figure out an easy way to solve this pair of equations.

(55x + 45y) = 520
(45x + 55y) = 480
Relevant Equations
(55x + 45y) = 520
(45x + 55y) = 480
(55x + 45y) = 520 (1)
(45x + 55y) = 480 (2)

So first I notice they are divisible by 5 so I go ahead and do that.

(11x + 9y) = 104 (1)
(9x + 11y) = 96 (2)

11 times 9 is 99 and 9 times 11 is 99 so I can cancel some terms. I proceed to do that by multiplying the top by 11 and getting: (121x + 99y) = 1144 and the bottom equation by 9 and I get (81x + 99y) = 864

I then have:
(121x + 99y) = 1144 (1)
(81x + 99y) = 864 (2)

So with the new equations I then subtract equation 2 from 1.

40x = 280, so x = 7.

Substituting x= 7 into the original equation 1 I get 55 x 7 = 385, so I subtract 385 from both sides of the equation and get 45y = 135 which is 135/45 = 3. y = 3

So I now have solved for x and y for both equations, and when I plug them in as values it gives me true equations.

This method seemed easy to me but I can't help wondering did I miss the point of the question, i.e is there a blindingly obvious easier method?

Physics news on Phys.org
"blindingly obvious" -- I don't think so. But there are other approaches just as easy as yours.

I think that's a great approach, for this particular problem. It may not be the easiest way in general, for another set of numbers.

That is why I favor methods that always work, even when the coefficients are obnoxious. The more general methods don't require you to be clever, you just have to follow the process, like a computer.

Cramer's rule is a good approach in general, but sometimes not the easiest. Perhaps you haven't studied that yet, but you will.

Likes FactChecker
The arithmetic is much easier in this problem
if you take first the sum of the given equations, together with the difference of the given equations.

Of course, graphing the equations is another way.

Likes SammyS
If you add both equations, you get ##100x+100y=1000##, which is equivalent to ##x+y=10##.
$$55x+45y=520\Leftrightarrow11x+9y=104$$$$45x+55y=480\Leftrightarrow9x+11y=96$$$$x+y=10$$

Likes etotheipi
or add and subtract, getting x+y = 10 and x-y = 4, so x=7, y =3.

Likes PeroK, etotheipi and archaic
I purposely didn’t finish carrying out the method I suggested above... hoping that OP would do it.

(The motivation of my suggestion (for me) was noticing the similarity with a Lorentz transformation, then using light cone coordinates.)

Likes hutchphd
I got the "sum" bit right away ; totally missed "difference". Not any easier than the OP's method, but definitely cleverer.

hmmm27 said:
I got the "sum" bit right away ; totally missed "difference". Not any easier than the OP's method, but definitely cleverer.
Really?
No scaling the way done by the OP was needed... since the numbers were nice.
Arithmetic simplifies quickly to what @mathwonk wrote.

robphy said:
Really?
No scaling the way done by the OP was needed... since the numbers were nice.
Arithmetic simplifies quickly to what @mathwonk wrote.
Yes, but you have to notice that both adding and subtracting the equations are useful, in the first place : the problem is rigged to have a cute answer.

Likes DaveE

Related to Simultaneous Equations Alternate Approach

1. What is the alternate approach to solving simultaneous equations?

The alternate approach to solving simultaneous equations involves using substitution or elimination methods instead of graphing. This method can be more efficient and accurate for solving equations with multiple variables.

2. How does substitution work in solving simultaneous equations?

Substitution involves solving one equation for a variable and substituting that value into the other equation. This allows for solving the remaining equation with only one variable, making it easier to find the solution.

3. What is the elimination method for solving simultaneous equations?

The elimination method involves adding or subtracting equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other. This method is useful when the coefficients of one variable are the same in both equations.

4. Can the alternate approach be used for any type of simultaneous equations?

Yes, the alternate approach can be used for any type of simultaneous equations, including linear, quadratic, and systems of equations with three or more variables.

5. What are the advantages of using the alternate approach for solving simultaneous equations?

The alternate approach can be more efficient and accurate for solving equations with multiple variables. It also allows for solving equations that cannot be graphed, such as equations with irrational or complex solutions.