Simultaneity and Spacelike Interval

In summary: However, if we were to move to a frame of reference that is moving towards the sun, at the speed of light, we could say that the original event on the sun and the event happening to you between now and eight minutes from now were simultaneous.
anxmetal
All the events that are connected with a particular "Event 1" by spacelike intervals lie outside the past and future light cones of Event 1. But in some other frame of reference these events which are connected to Event 1 by spacelike intervals can appear to occur simultaneously with Event 1. Any explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, any two events which are simultaneous but at different locations wrt some frame of reference are outside the light cones of each other.

For example, an event occurring at the Sun at this very moment wrt my ordinary frame of reference is outside the light cone of the event that I am sitting here, now. I will get no knowledge of the event at the Sun until after eight minutes, at the event that I'm sitting here in eight minutes from now.

Erland said:
Well, any two events which are simultaneous but at different locations wrt some frame of reference are outside the light cones of each other.

For example, an event occurring at the Sun at this very moment wrt my ordinary frame of reference is outside the light cone of the event that I am sitting here, now. I will get no knowledge of the event at the Sun until after eight minutes, at the event that I'm sitting here in eight minutes from now.

So you have defined three events. Two simultaneous events in your original frame (one at the sun, one at you) and third event when information from the first event reached the location of the second eight minutes later.

If we look at this system from a frame with a relative motion in the instantaneous radial direction the original events would no longer be simultaneous. In principle is is possible to find a frame where the original event at the sun and any event you experience between now and eight minutes from now are simultaneous.

With extreme acceleration we could theoretically out run the news from the sun, if say, other indicators showed that it should have gone super nova two minutes ago.

Once the eight minutes has passed, the events on the sun are irrevocably in our past.

Related to Simultaneity and Spacelike Interval

1. What is simultaneity?

Simultaneity refers to the concept of two events occurring at the same time, according to a specific observer. It is a relative concept and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

2. How does special relativity explain simultaneity?

In special relativity, simultaneity is explained by the relativity of time. This means that the perception of time can vary for different observers, leading to differences in the perception of simultaneity.

3. What is a spacelike interval?

A spacelike interval is a measure of the distance between two events in space, without taking into account the time it takes for light or any other information to travel between them. It is used to describe events that are not causally connected.

4. How is simultaneity related to spacelike intervals?

Simultaneity and spacelike intervals are closely related because they both involve the concept of distance and time. Spacelike intervals can help determine if two events can be perceived as simultaneous by an observer, depending on the distance between them and the observer's frame of reference.

5. Can two events be simultaneous in one frame of reference but not in another?

Yes, according to special relativity, two events can be simultaneous in one frame of reference but not in another. This is because the perception of time can differ for different observers, leading to differences in the perception of simultaneity.