Simulink USS block - probability analysis

In summary, to incorporate a probability function based on computed distance, you can use the lognormcdf function in the MATLAB Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox to calculate the cumulative probability of detection, and then generate a random number and compare it to the probability output to determine if object B is detected at each step of the model.
MrsZiggy
Here are the basics - I've got a model with a computed distance between 2 objects. The likelihood that object A will detect object B is a probability dependent on distance (and its a cumulative lognormal curve).

I want to include a probability function based on that computed distance. So that at X meters, the probability of detection is 20%. At Y distance its 50% etc. At each step of the model, the distance will be different, so it needs to redo its random draw from the probability function and output whether or not object B was detected.

I was under the impression that the uncertain state block within the robust control toolbox was the direction to go, but so far I haven't been able to decipher the "help" information to learn how to use and apply it. (And as far as I can understand, it would be ideal b/c I can also run the model varying all the uncertain variables a certain number of times from the command line).

HELP PLEASE!

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way to do this is to use the MATLAB Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox. You can use the function 'lognormcdf' to calculate the cumulative probability of detecting object B given a certain distance. Then, you can generate a random number between 0 and 1 and compare it to the probability output from the lognormcdf function to determine if object B is detected or not. For example, if the distance is X meters, then the probability of detection is 20%. The lognormcdf function will return a value of 0.2 for this distance. Then, you can generate a random number between 0 and 1, let's say 0.6. If the generated random number is less than or equal to 0.2 (the probability output from lognormcdf), then object B is detected; otherwise, it is not detected.

Related to Simulink USS block - probability analysis

1. What is the Simulink USS block used for?

The Simulink Uncertain State-Space (USS) block is used for modeling and analyzing systems with uncertain parameters or inputs. It allows for the incorporation of probabilistic models and uncertainty analysis in Simulink simulations.

2. How does the USS block perform probability analysis?

The USS block uses Monte Carlo simulation to perform probability analysis. This involves running multiple simulations with different sets of uncertain parameters or inputs, and then analyzing the results to determine the probability distribution of the system's response or output.

3. What types of uncertainty can be modeled with the USS block?

The USS block can model both parametric and input uncertainty. Parametric uncertainty refers to uncertain parameters in the system, such as physical constants or environmental conditions. Input uncertainty refers to uncertain inputs to the system, such as noise or disturbances.

4. What is the advantage of using the USS block for probability analysis?

The USS block allows for a more realistic and comprehensive analysis of systems with uncertainty. It incorporates probabilistic models and can handle both parametric and input uncertainty, providing a more accurate representation of real-world systems. Additionally, it integrates seamlessly with Simulink, allowing for efficient and streamlined simulations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the USS block for probability analysis?

One limitation of the USS block is that it assumes all uncertainties are independent and normally distributed. This may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may depend on the quality of the probabilistic models used. It is important to carefully consider and validate the uncertainties and models used in the analysis.