Simulink: read parameter from Matlab workspace

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Simulink model to output velocity and acceleration of a conveyor belt system, with a focus on optimizing the gear ratio for maximum acceleration. The solution proposed is to use a Simulink Parameter object to store and modify the gear ratio value within the model, allowing for optimization through a loop in a .m-file.
cheba
Beginner's Simulink problem:

I have made a Simulink model of a motor-reduction gear-conveyor belt system which outputs velocity (v) and acceleration (a) of the conveyor belt. The reduction gear ratio (i) is a value in a Constant block.

My next task is to make a simple optimization of the gear ratio for maximum acceleration using the Simulink model. The optimization task is supposed to be a .m-file so I was thinking of writing a script that runs the simulation with a set of different gear ratios. To do this I have to import a new value for the gear ratio into the model for each simulation. However I can't find out how to do this. Any help?

I tried to use google but I did not find any solution simple enough for me to understand...

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to your problem is to use the Simulink Parameter object. This object can be used to store and modify values within a Simulink model. To add it to your model, go to the Simulink Start Page and search for 'Parameter'. Drag and drop the Parameter object into your model. Set the initial value of the parameter to the gear ratio you wish to optimize. This will allow you to modify the gear ratio from within your .m-file. In your .m-file, you can then create a loop which calls the Simulink simulation with different values of the gear ratio. The Parameter object will be updated before each simulation run, allowing you to optimize the gear ratio for maximum acceleration.

Related to Simulink: read parameter from Matlab workspace

1. How do I read a parameter from Matlab workspace in Simulink?

To read a parameter from Matlab workspace in Simulink, you can use the "From Workspace" block. This block allows you to import variables from the Matlab workspace and use them as parameters in your Simulink model.

2. Can I change the value of a parameter in the Matlab workspace during simulation?

Yes, you can change the value of a parameter in the Matlab workspace during simulation. To do this, you can use the "To Workspace" block to store the updated value of the parameter in the Matlab workspace. This updated value will then be used in the next iteration of the simulation.

3. What is the advantage of using parameters from the Matlab workspace in Simulink?

The advantage of using parameters from the Matlab workspace in Simulink is that it allows for easy parameter tuning and modification without having to make changes directly in the Simulink model. This can save time and effort, especially in complex models with multiple parameters.

4. Can I use variables from a Matlab script as parameters in Simulink?

Yes, you can use variables from a Matlab script as parameters in Simulink. Simply define the variables in the script and then use the "From Workspace" block to import them into your Simulink model.

5. How can I troubleshoot if my Simulink model is not reading parameters from the Matlab workspace correctly?

If your Simulink model is not reading parameters from the Matlab workspace correctly, you can try the following troubleshooting steps: 1) Make sure the parameter is defined correctly in the Matlab workspace and that it has the correct data type. 2) Check if the "From Workspace" block is correctly connected to the parameter in your Simulink model. 3) Ensure that the variable name in the "From Workspace" block matches the name of the parameter in the Matlab workspace. 4) Check if the parameter is being modified or redefined during simulation. 5) If all else fails, try restarting Matlab and Simulink and running the simulation again.