Simulink Max/Min Control

In summary: If the force falls outside of the upper and lower limit then the block will set the force to the upper or lower limit as appropriate.Hi Viscousflow thanks for the reply. I will look into the dynamic saturation block.
19dan87
I am modelling the vibration of a 2 D.O.F system with damping in Simulink.

I want to set up control such that if the control value is between two values (max and min) then it sets the control value to the specified input but if it is outside the max and min interval then the control value is set to the max or min as appropriate.

eg.

Fd> Fmax , then set to Fmax
Fd< Fmin , then set to Fmin

If not set to Fd.

Fmax and Fmin will vary slightly throughout the simulation so can not use a max/min since they vary with time during the simulation.

Any ideas how it will be best to do this. Basically going to be three inputs into the block from the system which need to be evaluated and then the appropriate input set as the output.

I have tried IF blocks but they won't work properly for the simulation.

Thanks

Dan

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you are describing is a saturation block. Basically, you can set your upper and lower limits of the saturation to Fmax and Fmin respectively, with Fd as your single input.

I do not see why you would want 3 inputs unless you have Fmax and Fmin as simulink block constants. Which in that case you can simply hard code it into the upper and lower limits of the saturation block directly and throw away your Fmax and Fmin constant blocks.

Hi Viscousflow thanks for the reply. The saturation block was what I was describing but unfortunately I didn't think through the problem I was modelling properly and a simple saturation block will not work.

I am modelling Semi active damping with skyhook control. (MR damper with 2 DOF)

I want the control force to be; Fsky=Csky*x1
Ales the control force falls outside the Fmax and Fmin limits then I want to set the control force to Fmax or Fmin.

Fmax= sgn(Fy) + C(x1-x2) , sgn(Fy) is simply the offset force
Fmin= C(x1-x2)

The force-velocity diagram in the link below will help visualize the problem I am describing.
http://postimage.org/image/9rqiokn8/

Now 2 problems arise when using the saturation block alone.

(x1-x2) can be negative meaning I would have to swap the upper and lower limits around for the case when the relative velocity is negative.

Also If Fmax and Fmin are negative but the control force Fsky (Fd on the diagram) is positive and still between the +Fmax and +Fmin then I want the control force to be set to Fsky.

Any ideas how it would be best to model this problem in Simulink. Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

Well in that case, investigate the dynamic saturation block. You can place your equations into the upper and lower limit blocks to have moving limits.

As a scientist, my recommendation would be to use a combination of the IF block and a variable block to achieve the desired control in the Simulink model. The IF block can be used to evaluate the value of the control input and determine if it falls within the specified range. If it does, then the control value can be set to the specified input. If it falls outside the range, the variable block can be used to store and update the maximum and minimum values throughout the simulation. The output of the variable block can then be connected to the IF block to determine the appropriate control value. This approach would allow for the control values to be adjusted dynamically during the simulation, while still maintaining the desired control range. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with other Simulink users or experts for further guidance and assistance with implementing this control in your specific model.

Related to Simulink Max/Min Control

1. What is Simulink Max/Min Control?

Simulink Max/Min Control is a feature in the Simulink software used for model-based design and simulation. It allows users to set upper and lower limits for signals in a Simulink model, ensuring that the output values stay within a specified range.

2. How do I use the Max/Min Control block in Simulink?

To use the Max/Min Control block, simply drag and drop it into your Simulink model. Then, specify the upper and lower limits for the signal you want to control by adjusting the block's parameters.

3. What is the purpose of using Max/Min Control in a Simulink model?

The main purpose of using Max/Min Control in a Simulink model is to ensure that the output values stay within a specified range, preventing unexpected or unrealistic results. This can be especially useful in complex models with multiple signals and variables.

4. Can I use multiple Max/Min Control blocks in a single Simulink model?

Yes, you can use multiple Max/Min Control blocks in a single Simulink model. This allows for more precise control over different signals within the model.

5. Are there any alternatives to using Max/Min Control in Simulink?

Yes, there are alternative methods for controlling signal limits in Simulink, such as using the Saturation block or using if-else logic in the model. However, the Max/Min Control block offers a more straightforward and efficient solution for managing signal limits.