Simulink Diagram for Solving a Nonlinear Second-Order Differential Equation

• Thread starter theone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simulink
In summary, the conversation was about drawing a simulink diagram for the equation \frac{d^2 \theta}{dx^2}=-\frac{x}{10}\cos \theta - \frac{9.8}{10}\sin \theta and finding the response to a unit step function. The diagram was shown and deemed to be good, with a suggestion to arrange the input on the left. The conversation then moved on to finding the response to a unit pulse function, and a warning about the simulation step size was discussed. It was recommended to change the step size in the configuration parameters dialog.
theone
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

[itex]\frac{d^2 \theta}{dx^2}=-\frac{x}{10}\cos \theta - \frac{9.8}{10}\sin \theta[/itex]

I'm supposed to draw a simulink diagram for this equation and find the response to a unit step function

This is what I did so far but I don't know if its right
http://postimg.org/image/64mm8rjhv/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks good. typically i like to arrange the block diagram so the input is on the left, but that is just a matter of preference.

donpacino said:
looks good. typically i like to arrange the block diagram so the input is on the left, but that is just a matter of preference.

thanks Also, I'm supposed to find the response to a unit pulse function.
But when I replace the step function with a pulse generator and try running, I get this:
"Using a default value of 0.2 for maximum step size. The simulation step size will be equal to or less than this value. You can disable this diagnostic by setting 'Automatic solver parameter selection' diagnostic to 'none' in the Diagnostics page of the configuration parameters dialog"

is that a warning or an error.
typically that step size refers to the simulation step size in the solver. Go to simulation;model config parameters and you can change the step sizes. You can also change it from variable to set step sizes, which i typically recommend.

Related to Simulink Diagram for Solving a Nonlinear Second-Order Differential Equation

1. What is Simulink?

Simulink is a graphical programming environment used for modeling, simulating, and analyzing dynamic systems. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to design and test control systems, digital signal processing algorithms, and other complex systems.

2. How do I get started with Simulink?

To get started with Simulink, you will need to have the software installed on your computer. You can purchase a license from MathWorks, the company that develops Simulink, or you may be able to access it through your academic institution. Once you have access to the software, there are tutorials and documentation available to help you learn the basics.

3. Can Simulink be used for real-time simulations?

Yes, Simulink has the capability to perform real-time simulations. This is useful for testing control systems in real-world scenarios and for hardware-in-the-loop testing, where a physical system is connected to a simulation in real-time.

4. Are there any limitations to Simulink?

Like any software, Simulink has its limitations. It is not suitable for modeling highly complex systems, such as large-scale power grids, and it may not be the best choice for extremely fast simulations. Additionally, some advanced features may require additional toolboxes or add-ons.

5. Can Simulink be used for code generation?

Yes, Simulink has the ability to generate code in various programming languages, such as C and MATLAB. This can be useful for implementing control systems or algorithms on embedded systems or for creating standalone applications.