Simulating opposing rotational forces at different points on structure

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating a tangential force and the opposing force caused by the moment of inertia of a mass at a different position. The main question is what would be the proper magnitude of the opposing force caused by the moment of inertia. It is suggested to model flexible structures as a mass and spring system and draw free-body diagrams. The diagram in the conversation is incorrect and the simulation does not conform to known physics. The person seeking help must manually add a reaction force in the simulation. However, this may give erroneous results and it is suggested to write an animation instead.
AshSechler
Hi,

I am trying to simulate a tangential force acting on a point on a structure and the corresponding opposing force caused by the moment of inertia of a mass at a different position.

In this image the structure rotates around point c and there is a vector out of mass m opposing the rotation caused by tangential force F.

My main question: What would the proper magnitude of the opposing force caused by the moment of inertia be?

If it is much easier to pretend that the structure is rigid, what kind of equation would I use? I have been able to find the angular acceleration based on the total torque and total moment of inertia. Is mass x radius x acceleration the right idea?

thanks!

Ash

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Your diagram is incorrect - remove the arrow from the mass (unless you are also applying a force there.)
Model flexible rods/structures as a mass and spring system, then you can draw free-body diagrams as usual.

Hey Simon,

thanks for your response. I should be more clear - the arrow out of the mass represents the reaction force, which i do need to manually add in this simulation.

can anybody help me?

You have received help.

- why would there be a reaction force at the mass like that?
- if it is mandated by your simulation, then your simulation does not appear to conform to known physics. The way you get such a force is if there is some sort of drag or friction there. Is this a program you have developed yourself or one you have been given or purchased?

because of the limitations of the simulator, I must describe the effect of the mass(slowing the rate of acceleration) as a negative force as a function of the input force.

Then your simulation does not conform to known physics and will give erroneous results.
You would basically have to calculate the effect of the inertia by hand, then work out what sort of "simulated force" would be needed to get the simulator to do the same thing - why not just write an animation and cut out the middle-man?

This is not physics.
I cannot help you.

Related to Simulating opposing rotational forces at different points on structure

1. How can opposing rotational forces be simulated on a structure?

Opposing rotational forces can be simulated by using a computer program or software that utilizes mathematical equations and simulations to model the effects of different forces on a structure.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of simulations for opposing rotational forces?

The accuracy of simulations for opposing rotational forces can be affected by the properties of the structure, the magnitude and direction of the forces, and the assumptions made in the simulation model.

3. Are there any limitations to simulating opposing rotational forces on a structure?

Yes, there are limitations to simulating opposing rotational forces on a structure. These can include the complexity of the structure, the accuracy of the simulation model, and the computational power and resources available.

4. How can simulations for opposing rotational forces be used in real-world applications?

Simulations for opposing rotational forces can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of structures under different loads and forces, which can be useful in designing and optimizing structures for various applications.

5. Can simulations for opposing rotational forces be used for all types of structures?

Yes, simulations for opposing rotational forces can be used for a wide range of structures, including buildings, bridges, and mechanical systems. However, the complexity and accuracy of the simulations may vary depending on the structure and its properties.