Simulating a Fabry Perot Interferometer

In summary, the speaker has derived the transmission function and coefficient of finesse for a Fabry Perot interferometer. They are struggling to understand how to draw an interferogram from the transmission equation and are seeking help in graphing it using Mathematica. Despite trying various methods, they have not been successful and have not found much information on creating fringe patterns digitally.
CasualDays
I am making an attempt at simulating interference patterns of a Fabry Perot interferometer.

I have fully derived the transmission function and the coefficient of finesse.

T=[tex]\frac{I0 T^{2}}{(1-R)^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{1+FSin^2(\frac{\delta}{2})}[/tex]

Where F=[tex]\frac{4R}{(1-R)^2}[/tex] and [tex]\delta[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex] 2 n l Cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])

n=index of refraction of material between two half silvered mirrors
l=thickness of material between mirrors

I guess my question is..How does one draw an interferogram from the transmission equation?

For some reason, it just does not click with me on how you can see a circular ring from a difference in wavelength. I don't really understand which of the variables to assign arbitrary values too, and which to graph if you will.

I need help graphing the interferogram in Mathematica. I just want it to work!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried using Density Plot with this equation,letting theta approach zero, and tried varying t and I0 but still no luck.

For some reason, it doesn't seem very common to create fringe patterns digitally, or at least, I haven't really found any good info on it.

Probably help if I'd taken optics.. :D

Drawing an interferogram from the transmission equation can be a bit tricky, but here are some steps that may help:

1. Assign values to the variables: In order to graph the interferogram, you will need to assign values to the variables in the transmission equation. The values you choose will depend on the specific setup of your interferometer. For example, you can choose a specific value for the thickness of the material between the mirrors (l) and the index of refraction of that material (n).

2. Choose a range of values for the wavelength (lambda): The wavelength of the light being used in the interferometer will also affect the interferogram. You can choose a range of values for lambda and plot the interferogram for each value to see how it changes.

3. Plot the transmission function: Using the values you assigned to the variables, you can plot the transmission function T as a function of wavelength (lambda). This will give you a general idea of how the transmission changes with different wavelengths.

4. Plot the interferogram: Now, to plot the interferogram, you will need to use the coefficient of finesse (F) and the phase difference (delta) in the transmission equation. You can plot the interferogram as a function of the phase difference (delta) for different values of F.

5. Use Mathematica: Mathematica has built-in functions for plotting graphs and functions. You can use the "Plot" function to plot the transmission function and the interferogram. Make sure to specify the range of values for the variables and to label your axes correctly.

6. Experiment with different values: Once you have plotted the interferogram, you can experiment with different values for the variables to see how it affects the interferogram. This will help you understand the relationship between the variables and the resulting interference pattern.

Overall, understanding the simulation of a Fabry Perot interferometer takes practice and experimentation. By assigning values to the variables and plotting the transmission function and interferogram, you can gain a better understanding of how the interference patterns are generated. Don't be afraid to play around with different values and ask for help if you get stuck. With some patience and practice, you will be able to successfully simulate a Fabry Perot interferometer.

Related to Simulating a Fabry Perot Interferometer

1. What is a Fabry Perot Interferometer?

A Fabry Perot Interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the spectral lines of light by creating interference patterns. It consists of two parallel mirrors with a small distance between them, forming an optical cavity. When light enters the cavity, it bounces back and forth between the mirrors, creating interference patterns that can be analyzed to determine the wavelength of the light.

2. How does a Fabry Perot Interferometer work?

The Fabry Perot Interferometer works by utilizing the principle of interference. When light enters the cavity, it bounces off the mirrors and creates multiple reflected beams. These beams interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark fringes. The spacing between the fringes is directly related to the wavelength of the light, allowing for precise measurements to be made.

3. What are the applications of a Fabry Perot Interferometer?

Fabry Perot Interferometers have a wide range of applications in various scientific fields. They are commonly used in astronomy to study the spectral lines of stars and galaxies, in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of materials, and in telecommunications to measure the wavelength of light in fiber optic cables.

4. How do you simulate a Fabry Perot Interferometer?

To simulate a Fabry Perot Interferometer, one can use software programs or mathematical models. These simulations involve inputting parameters such as the mirror spacing and reflectivity, as well as the wavelength of light, and then analyzing the resulting interference pattern. Advanced simulations may also take into account factors such as the polarization of light and the effects of multiple reflections.

5. What are the advantages of simulating a Fabry Perot Interferometer?

Simulating a Fabry Perot Interferometer allows for a better understanding of its principles and behavior. It also allows for quick and accurate predictions of the interference pattern for different input parameters, without the need for physical construction. This can save time and resources in experimental setups, and also aid in the design and optimization of new instruments.