Simulating 30V Power Supply with Center Tapped Transformer in PSPICE

In summary, the conversation is about simulating a 30v power supply using a center tapped transformer in PSPICE. The speaker is having trouble with the output and is seeking help. They are advised to use the k linear function and adjust the step size for a higher resolution output. The speaker is also asked about their intended evaluation of the output.
clphipps
my professor gave us a 30v power supply using a center tapped transformer and wanted us to simulate it in pspice.

He told us to use the k linear function to connect inductors together.

The problem is that I got it to work, but when I simulate it I get something that I don't know that I am suppose to get.

The primary voltage is house voltage so it is 170vpeak at 60hz. when I look at the signal out of the transformer, it seems irregular. I am not getting a consistent peak. One peak may be higher than another and it seems to fluctuate. I don't know if this is what it suppose to be or not.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you are doing a transient analysis?

Try using the step size to get a higher resolution output.

Say your analysis is X seconds. Set your step size to X/500 seconds.

Also, what are you trying to evaluate in your output?

Related to Simulating 30V Power Supply with Center Tapped Transformer in PSPICE

1. How do I set up a simulation for a 30V power supply with a center tapped transformer in PSPICE?

To set up a simulation for a 30V power supply with a center tapped transformer in PSPICE, you will need to first create a new schematic and add the necessary components such as the center tapped transformer, rectifier diodes, and capacitors. Once all components are added, you can set up the simulation parameters by selecting a transient analysis and setting the appropriate voltage sources and time values.

2. What is the purpose of using a center tapped transformer in a power supply circuit?

A center tapped transformer is commonly used in power supply circuits to provide a split voltage output, where the center tap serves as a common ground for the positive and negative sides. This allows for a more efficient and stable power supply, as well as the ability to provide both positive and negative voltage outputs.

3. How can I ensure that my simulated power supply is delivering a stable 30V output?

To ensure a stable 30V output, you can use a voltage regulator in your circuit design. This will help regulate the voltage and prevent fluctuations. It is also important to carefully choose the components used in the circuit, such as the transformer and capacitors, to ensure they can handle the desired voltage and current.

4. Can I use different values for the transformer, diodes, and capacitors in my simulation?

Yes, you can use different values for these components in your simulation. However, it is important to note that the values chosen will affect the output voltage and current of the power supply. It is recommended to carefully select components with appropriate ratings and values to ensure the desired output is achieved.

5. Are there any limitations to simulating a 30V power supply with a center tapped transformer in PSPICE?

PSPICE is a powerful simulation tool, but it does have some limitations. One limitation to be aware of when simulating a power supply with a center tapped transformer is that PSPICE does not take into account the physical characteristics of the transformer, such as its size and weight. It is important to keep this in mind when designing a circuit for practical use.