Simplistic fluid heat loss - water in a concrete tank

In summary, the person is seeking advice on the heat loss and cost of not insulating their newly built basement swimming pool. They provide information on the ground temperature, R value of the concrete, dimensions of the pool, and heat loss from the pool surface. They are looking for an equation to calculate the energy required with and without insulation. However, they later realize that the thermal conductivity of insulation is much lower and it would be a no-brainer to insulate the pool. They apologize for any inconvenience and state their decision to go with insulation.
sanderr2
Hi all,
I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate question. I have built a basement swimming pool for my wife. Unfortunately I neglected to insulate outside the concrete and insulating inside the concrete has caused some construction issues so I am trying to work out the heat loss if I go ahead without insulation.

I know the approximate ground temperature outside the concrete box.
I can establish an R value for the waterproof concrete.
I know the dimensions i.e. the surface area of the pool walls / bottom and the volume of water.
The heat loss from the pool surface will presumably be the same whether I insulate the pool or not so can be disregarded for the comparison.

Is there an equation that I can plug my values into so see how many BTU I will have to put in with and without insulation so I can establish how much not insulating is going to cost me in energy terms?

Humble thanks in anticipation,
Rob

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi - no need for anyone to reply. I've realized that the thermal conductivity of insulated is about 10x lower so whatever the cost, the energy required will presumably be about 10x the amount so insulated. I think this equates to an annual cost of £3000 vs £300 so it's a no brainer. Insulated it has to be... Rob

PS Couldn't find a way to delete my thread!

Related to Simplistic fluid heat loss - water in a concrete tank

1. What is simplistic fluid heat loss?

Simplistic fluid heat loss refers to the process of heat transfer between a fluid (such as water) and its surrounding environment, in this case a concrete tank. It is a simplified approach to understanding the amount of heat that can be lost from the fluid to its surroundings.

2. How does water in a concrete tank lose heat?

Water in a concrete tank can lose heat through conduction, convection, and radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between the water and the concrete walls of the tank. Convection occurs when the water is in contact with moving air, causing heat to be carried away. Radiation is the emission of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect simplistic fluid heat loss in a concrete tank?

The factors that affect simplistic fluid heat loss in a concrete tank include the temperature difference between the water and the surrounding environment, the surface area of the tank, the thermal conductivity of the concrete, and the flow rate of the fluid.

4. Can simplistic fluid heat loss be prevented in a concrete tank?

Simplistic fluid heat loss can be reduced but not completely prevented. Insulating the concrete tank can help reduce heat loss through conduction, while covering the tank can reduce heat loss through convection and radiation. However, some heat loss will still occur due to the natural laws of thermodynamics.

5. How can I calculate simplistic fluid heat loss in a concrete tank?

There are various equations and online calculators available to estimate simplistic fluid heat loss in a concrete tank. These calculations take into account the aforementioned factors and provide an estimate of the amount of heat lost over a given period of time. It is important to note that these are simplified calculations and may not accurately reflect the actual heat loss in real-world scenarios.