Simplifying Square Roots of a Parametrized Path

In summary, to find the arclength of the parametrized path x(t) = (t^2)/2 , y(t) = (t^3)/3 for 1<t<3, we use the Arc Length Formula and integrate t√(t^2+1) by substitution.
mill

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the parametrized path x(t) = (t^2)/2 , y(t) = (t^3)/3 for 1<t<3.

Homework Equations

Arc Length Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

x'=t and y'=t^2.

Putting them into the arc length formula, I get sqrt(t^2 + t^4) inside.

I'm confused about how to simplify this part. The answer (10sqrt(10)-2sqrt(2))/3 suggests the quadratic formula somewhere along the way. I could probably pull out a variable into sqrt(t^2(t^2 + 1)) or tsqrt(t^2+1) but how do I use the quadratic equation in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the parametrized path x(t) = (t^2)/2 , y(t) = (t^3)/3 for 1<t<3.

Homework Equations

Arc Length Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

x'=t and y'=t^2.

Putting them into the arc length formula, I get sqrt(t^2 + t^4) inside.

I'm confused about how to simplify this part. The answer (10sqrt(10)-2sqrt(2))/3 suggests the quadratic formula somewhere along the way. I could probably pull out a variable into sqrt(t^2(t^2 + 1)) or tsqrt(t^2+1) but how do I use the quadratic equation in this case?

You don't use the quadratic equation. You just integrate ##t \sqrt{t^2+1}##. It's not hard, just do it by a substitution.

Thanks.

Related to Simplifying Square Roots of a Parametrized Path

What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 multiplied by itself is 25.

Why do we need to simplify square roots?

Simplifying square roots helps us to find the most simplified form of a number. It also makes solving equations and performing other mathematical operations easier.

How do you simplify a square root?

To simplify a square root, you need to find the factors of the number inside the square root symbol and determine if any of those factors are perfect squares. Then, you can take the square root of the perfect squares and leave the remaining factors inside the square root symbol.

What are the rules for simplifying square roots?

The main rule for simplifying square roots is to factor the number inside the square root symbol and remove any perfect squares. Another rule is to combine any like terms inside the square root symbol.

Can all square roots be simplified?

No, not all square roots can be simplified. Some square roots, such as the square root of prime numbers, cannot be simplified any further. These square roots are considered to be in their simplest form.