Simplifying Expressions: 1/2 - 4/d

But yes, the final answer is d-8/5.In summary, the simplest form for the expression 1/2 - 4/d divided by 1/d + 3/2d is d - 8/5, after multiplying both the numerator and denominator by the LCD of 2d. It is important to use brackets to ensure the correct order of operations is followed.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

Express in simplest form.
1/2 – 4/d divide by 1/d + 3/2d

Homework Equations

LCF

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the LCD is 2d. But would you multiply this to the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
You can multiply it as long as you do it to the numerator and the denominator. i.e.:

[tex]
\frac{\frac{1}{2}-\frac{4}{d}}{\frac{1}{d}+\frac{3}{2d}} \times \frac{2d}{2d}
[/tex]

Also, what you have there isn't really an equation. It is only an equation if there is an equals symbol somewhere.

Okay, but if you multiply the LCD which is 2d would you multiply 2d to 1/2, 4/d, 1/d and 3/2d

If so, i got 2d/4d - 8d/2d divided by 2d/2d^2 + 6d/2d^2, is this right?

priscilla98 said:
Okay, but if you multiply the LCD which is 2d would you multiply 2d to 1/2, 4/d, 1/d and 3/2d

If so, i got 2d/4d - 8d/2d divided by 2d/2d^2 + 6d/2d^2, is this right?

Yes you do multiply 2d by 1/2, 4/d, 1/d and 3/2d, but I am not quite sure what you have done there. [tex]\frac{1}{2}\times 2d = d [/tex]
[tex]\frac{4}{d}\times 2d = 8 [/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{d}\times 2d = 2 [/tex]
[tex]\frac{3}{2d}\times 2d = 3[/tex]

Okay, i understand now. The final answer is d - 8/ 5, thanks a lot

priscilla98 said:
Okay, i understand now. The final answer is d - 8/ 5, thanks a lot

Yes, that is correct :smile:

As a side note, you should probably try to pay more attention to use of brackets. d-8/5 could be interpreted as d-(8/5) or as (d-8)/5, which are two completely different expressions.

Related to Simplifying Expressions: 1/2 - 4/d

What is the definition of simplifying expressions?

Simplifying expressions involves combining like terms, using the order of operations, and applying any necessary rules or properties to reduce an expression to its simplest form.

How do you simplify the expression 1/2 - 4/d?

To simplify this expression, we first need to find a common denominator. In this case, the common denominator is 2d. We then rewrite 1/2 as d/2d and 4/d as 8/2d. This gives us (d-8)/2d as the simplified expression.

What are the rules for simplifying expressions?

The rules for simplifying expressions include combining like terms, using the order of operations, and applying the distributive, associative, and commutative properties.

Why is it important to simplify expressions?

Simplifying expressions allows for easier calculations and understanding of the original expression. It also helps to identify any patterns or relationships within the expression.

Can an expression have more than one simplified form?

Yes, an expression can have multiple simplified forms depending on the rules and properties applied. It is important to choose the most simplified form for the given situation or problem.