Simplifying Equation With Square Root

In summary, the student is trying to learn math for the first time and is having difficulty with Calculus I.
kwikness

Homework Statement

An equation in a book lists this equation:
(c - 18)[tex]^{2}[/tex] = (-3[tex]\sqrt{c})[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

And it simplifies it as:
c[tex]^{2}[/tex] -45c + 324 = 02. The attempt at a solution
When I do out the equation, I get:
c[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 324 = 9 + c

i squared c, then -18 for the left side of the equation, then for the right side, I squared -3 to get 9, then [tex]\sqrt{c}[/tex], which is c.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kwikness and welcome to PF,

Firstly, note that;

[tex]\left(a+b\right)^2 \neq a^2+b^2[/tex]

Rather,

[tex]\left(a+b\right)^2 = \left(a+b\right)\cdot\left(a+b\right) = a^2 +2ab + b^2[/tex]

Secondly,

[tex](-3)^2 \neq 324[/tex]

And thirdly;

[tex](a\cdot b)^2 \neq a^2+b^2[/tex]

Rather,

[tex](a\cdot b)^2 = a^2\cdot b^2[/tex]

Last edited:
I squared -3 to get 324
Sorry, I meant 9 =)

I made my mistake when I forgot to "FOIL" the left-hand side of the equation. When I do so, I get:

C[tex]^{2}[/tex] -45c + 324 = 0

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I'm in a bit of a situation. I'm a good student in my 4th semester of college. In high school, I was able to slide by my math classes. I half-assed Algebra I, did okay in Geometry, and took no other math courses. Now I find myself in Calculus I, 5 years after my last math class. The first thing my professor said was, "You're not going to pass this course unless you've had Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus.", which I haven't. I'm now trying to backtrack and learn these courses myself with the aid of video tutorials and practicing problems on my own time. I excel in every subject at school but math. It's such a weakness for me and I'm now just starting to do something about it.

Any pointers are appreciated, thanks again for your help.

One needs to know the solution to the quadratic equation.

Alternatively, one recognizes (c+a)(c+b) = c2 + (a+b)c + ab = c2 - 45c + 324, so what does one do with corresponding coefficients?

Related to Simplifying Equation With Square Root

What is the purpose of simplifying an equation with square root?

Simplifying an equation with square root helps to make the equation easier to work with and understand. It also allows for easier solving and manipulation of the equation.

How do you simplify an equation with square root?

To simplify an equation with square root, you can use the rules of exponents, such as factoring out perfect square factors and using the square root property.

Can you simplify an equation with multiple square root terms?

Yes, you can simplify an equation with multiple square root terms by combining like terms and using the distributive property to factor out common factors.

Is it always necessary to simplify an equation with square root?

No, it is not always necessary to simplify an equation with square root. It may be helpful in some cases, but not required for solving the equation.

Are there any limitations to simplifying an equation with square root?

Yes, there are limitations to simplifying an equation with square root. For example, the equation must have a square root term in order for it to be simplified using square root rules.