Simplifying Determinants to Finding Linear Factors - Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a given determinant as a product of four linear factors. The participants suggest expanding and factoring the determinant, but are struggling to find a solution. Finally, a helpful identity is provided that allows for the determinant to be expressed as a product of four linear factors.
Gregg

Homework Statement

Express the determinant as a product of four linear factors.

[itex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & a & a^3 \\
1 & b & b^3 \\
1 & c & c^3
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]

I'm sure that the only way to do this without hurting yourself is to operate on the determinant and take factors out. It just doesn't move. I can't see the pattern, I can't see how to get factors out of it. I add rows, columns everything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand along the first row and then just try to factorize it.

rock.freak667 said:
Expand along the first row and then just try to factorize it.

Can't do it. It's hard to show my working on latex buts there's pages of attempts. x^3 I just can't do.

Try row reducing once, with R2-R1 and R3-R1. Then expand along row one.

then use this identity and see if it helps a3-b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)

rock.freak667 said:
Try row reducing once, with R2-R1 and R3-R1. Then expand along row one.

then use this identity and see if it helps a3-b3=(a-b)(a2+ab+b2)

Excellent thanks, that's the identity I needed.

Related to Simplifying Determinants to Finding Linear Factors - Homework Help

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It is commonly used in linear algebra to solve systems of equations and determine properties of a matrix, such as invertibility.

2. How do I find the determinant of a matrix?

To find the determinant of a matrix, you can use various methods such as expanding along a row or column, or using the cofactor method. The specific method used will depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. What is the importance of determinants?

Determinants have many practical applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to solve systems of equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine the invertibility and eigenvalues of matrices.

4. Can determinants be negative?

Yes, determinants can be negative. The sign of a determinant depends on the number of row or column swaps needed to reduce the matrix to its reduced row-echelon form. If an odd number of swaps is needed, the determinant will be negative, and if an even number is needed, the determinant will be positive.

5. What is the relationship between determinants and matrix operations?

Determinants are closely related to matrix operations such as multiplication, addition, and inversion. For example, the determinant of a product of two matrices is equal to the product of their determinants, and the determinant of the inverse of a matrix is equal to the inverse of the determinant of the original matrix.