Simplifying Boolean Expressions: Minterms & Sum of Products

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express a given function as a sum of minterms and find the minimal sum of products. The process involves logical manipulations and using a k-map to minimize the function.
XodoX

Homework Statement

F= A'C+A'B+AB'C+BC

Express the function as sum of minterms, and find the ninimal sum of products.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I do this? I really don't know. I know it is easy though. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I had some function:

f(a, b, c) = abc + abc'

then we can perform these logical manipulations:

f(a, b, c) = ab(c + c')

Now, c can either be a 1 or a 0. If c is 1, then c' is 0, and if c is 0, c' is 1. Therefore, the OR of c and c' is always 1, because only one of the arguments needs to be a 1 for OR to return 1. So we can now simplify and write:

f(a, b, c) = ab

So how does this all relate to your first question? Well, you need to perform the reverse to backtrack to the canonical sum of products (sum of min terms). In my example, we'd say:

f(a, b, c) = ab

For every omitted variable, you'd multiply in (that variable + that variable') and then distribute:

f(a, b, c) = ab = ab(c + c') = abc + abc'

another example:

f(a, b, c, d) = ab = ab(c + c')(d + d') = abcd + abcd' + abc'd + abc'd'

And to answer the second part of your question, to arrive to a minimal sum of products, you need to do what i first described: find redundancies, undistribute, and eliminate them. Google k-map for a quick, visual approach to minimizing sums of products.

Related to Simplifying Boolean Expressions: Minterms & Sum of Products

What is a boolean expression?

A boolean expression is a mathematical statement that evaluates to either true or false. It is composed of variables, logical operations (such as AND, OR, and NOT), and parentheses.

What are minterms and sum of products?

Minterms and sum of products are two methods for simplifying boolean expressions. Minterms are individual terms in a boolean expression that are separated by AND operations. Sum of products is a method where the minterms are combined using OR operations.

How do you simplify a boolean expression using minterms?

To simplify a boolean expression using minterms, you must first create a truth table to represent all possible combinations of the variables. Then, identify the rows in the truth table where the expression evaluates to true. The minterms are the terms in these rows, and they can be combined using AND operations to form a simplified expression.

How do you simplify a boolean expression using sum of products?

To simplify a boolean expression using sum of products, you must first create a truth table to represent all possible combinations of the variables. Then, identify the rows in the truth table where the expression evaluates to false. The sum of products is the expression formed by combining the terms in these rows using OR operations.

What are the benefits of simplifying boolean expressions?

Simplifying boolean expressions can make them easier to read and understand. It can also help reduce the number of logic gates needed to implement the expression, making it more efficient. Additionally, simplifying boolean expressions can make it easier to identify potential errors or redundancies in the original expression.