Music Collectors: Share Your Most Obscure Albums!

• Music
  • Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: artist.I just counted, and I'm up to 1,400 albums now. A little ridiculous, but, well, I love music!
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are there any other music collectors here in the forum? I just counted, and I'm up to 1,400 albums now. A little ridiculous, but, well, I love music!

Maybe it'd be fun to list what you feel is the most obscure artist or album in your collection... (preferably ones that you actually like however).

- Warren

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I have pushed past the 500 mark on CDs. I still have my vinyl, but thankfully I only got up to 30-40 records before deciding that the technology was about to become obsolete.

Most obscure? Probably some of the groups on a set of CDs of music recorded by bands in Liverpool in the early 1960s. The Swinging Bluejeans, The Undertakers, and a few others.

Last edited:
Chroot, my daughter is really into music, she probably has over 400 cd's and she's only 16. Her current favorites are The Mountain Goats, The Unicorns and Minus the Bear.

aww, id like to feel good about my cd collection but now it seems small and insignificant :( I'd say i have about 170 cds.

I have a nice collection of underground southern hardcore rap. I like the Memphis group Three 6 Mafia. I have all their albums (at least 40):

Click Here for Three 6 Mafia

I keep changing medium (45's, albums, 8 tracks, cassette, CDs). All told though I probably have about 500.

I have a couple I would consider obscure. A CD by a guitarist named Eric Johnson and an album by the "Baskerville Hounds."

my dad has roughly 6000 (six thousand) cds. he's on a bunch of lists which work kind of like a pyramid scheme; one person with a super-rare bootleg will be at the top, & trades with people above/below themselves. he's been at it a few years now. most of it is grateful dead stuff.

This is all disgusting.

I have maybe ten cds. If that.

How can you people possibly listen to so much? Why would you? Its crazy.

*waits for irony to sink in*

scarecrow said:
I have a nice collection of underground southern hardcore rap. I like the Memphis group Three 6 Mafia. I have all their albums (at least 40):

Click Here for Three 6 Mafia

I only buy Three 6 Mafia cds...so I don't have many.

I don't have too many CDs, because I'm poorer than dirt.

Obscure, I can do though.

Johnny Hollow distributes their own CDs and has a radio which has music from their album. "Stolen" is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a while.

Down good ol' southern influenced heavy metal. http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/listenwatch/0,,536964,00.html#artist_name has clips.

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/listenwatch/0,,487053,00.html#artist_name Techno-ey. link has some short 30 second clips. Try out "Adrenaline"

Meh. I could go on for hours, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some pretty obscure folk recordings from the depression-era that were recently released from the Library of Congress archives. I've been looking for a way to get a hold of the old recordings of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. They played an arrangement of an old English minstrel song based on a self-elegy by Chidiock Tichbourne, a man sentenced to death after conspiring against Queen Elizabeth in the 1500's. The poem is pretty dear to a friend of mine. If I could ever get my hands on that, I'd have one of the most obscure recordings on the planet. I'm having such a difficult time (the VSO won't even reply to my e-mails), I've considered just buying a copy of the sheet music from the composer and seeing if my college orchestra can play it.

I should mention that I do have recordings of other arrangements of this poem, but they are all by folk-revival bands that perform in the minstrel style. I wanted an orchestral arrangement. Only two have ever been written that I could find and this was the only one that was recorded.

Last edited:
bout 20 music CDs, and about 180 GB of harddrive space. Obscure? I've got bands that only ever released one song and then broke up because they slept with each others girlfriends...

Smurf said:
I've got bands that only ever released one song and then broke up because the...
But is the music any good?

Brainsessions by Ad Visser, two meditation CDs.. I've had several weird experiences listening to those CDs like floating and colorful hallucinations. My collection is only about 20 CDs, CDs are too expensive.

16 and 400 CDs? that's about 8000 dollars! you can go on a tour around the world with that kind of money..

Favorite track at the moment? Girl by Anouk http://www.anouk.nl/clips.aspx click the yellow square at the right, the beat is just too infectious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say I... paid... for all my music, Monique. :blush:

- Warren

Well, YOU have 1400 albums.. that'd be around 28,000 dollars :eek: I think it's ok to download music, if music is a hobby.. but I do believe that you should buy an album if you support an artist.

1. What is the purpose of sharing obscure albums with other music collectors?

The purpose is to expand the knowledge and appreciation of lesser-known music and to create a community of like-minded individuals who are passionate about collecting music.

2. How do I determine if an album is considered "obscure"?

This can vary, but generally an album is considered obscure if it has limited availability, low recognition, and is not widely known or discussed among mainstream audiences.

3. Can I share albums from any genre or time period?

Yes, this platform is open to sharing albums from any genre or time period. The goal is to showcase a diverse range of obscure albums from various musical backgrounds.

4. Is there a limit to how many albums I can share?

No, there is no limit. However, to ensure a fair distribution of albums, it is recommended to share a reasonable amount at a time and to also engage with other collectors' posts.

5. How can I engage with other music collectors on this platform?

You can engage by commenting on other collectors' posts, sharing your thoughts and insights about the album, and even trading or purchasing albums from each other.