Simplifying an Expression: $\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} / \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2}$

In summary, to rationalize the denominator of the expression \frac{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}, we can multiply it by \frac{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}} to get \frac{5+2\sqrt{6}}{1}. To rationalize the numerator, we can multiply it by \frac{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}} to get \frac{5-2\sqrt{6}}{1}. This gives us the final simplified expression of 5+2√6 and 1/5−2√
prasadini
\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} / \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2}

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, prasadini! (Wave)

I've moved your thread to a more fitting area. :D

So, we are given the expressions (I assume):

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{3}-\sqrt{2}}\)

I assume you are to rationalize the denominator...what form of $1$ do we need to multiply this expression by to accomplish this?

MarkFL said:
Hello and welcome to MHB, prasadini! (Wave)

I've moved your thread to a more fitting area. :D

So, we are given the expressions (I assume):

I assume you are to rationalize the denominator...what form of $1$ do we need to multiply this expression by to accomplish this?

is equal to

5+2√6 and 1 /5−2√6 How can i get this answer

prasadini said:

is equal to

5+2√6 and 1 /5−2√6 How can i get this answer

Well, suppose we are given:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}}{\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b}}\)

a) To rationalize the denominator, we would do the following:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}}{\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b}}\cdot\frac{\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}}{\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}}=\frac{(\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b})^2}{a-b}=\frac{a+2\sqrt{ab}+b}{a-b}=\frac{a+b}{a-b}+\frac{2}{a-b}\sqrt{ab}\)

b) To rationalize the numerator, we would do the following:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{a}+\sqrt{b}}{\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b}}\cdot\frac{\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b}}{\sqrt{a}-\sqrt{b}}=\frac{a-b}{a-2\sqrt{ab}+b}=\frac{a-b}{a+b-2\sqrt{ab}}\)

Can you use these techniques to rationalize the denominator and numerator of the given expression?

Related to Simplifying an Expression: $\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} / \sqrt{3} - \sqrt{2}$

What is the simplified form of the expression?

The simplified form of the expression is 1.

Why is the expression simplified?

The expression is simplified because the terms with square roots have been combined to create a single term with a rationalized denominator.

What is the process for simplifying this expression?

The process for simplifying this expression involves rationalizing the denominator by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator, which in this case is $\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2}$.

Can the expression be simplified further?

No, the expression is already in its simplest form since all terms with square roots have been combined and there are no like terms to be combined further.

What is the significance of simplifying expressions in mathematics?

Simplifying expressions is important in mathematics because it allows for easier manipulation and solving of equations, as well as making the expression more concise and easier to understand.