Simplifying an exponential with a square root

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression ##e^{\frac{1}{2} \log|2x-1|}## and the possibility of simplifying it to ##\sqrt{2x-1}##. However, there is uncertainty about justifying this simplification, as it would result in a different domain for the function. The conversation also mentions taking the derivative of the expression, which would be problematic regardless of the approach due to the function's non-differentiability at ##x = \frac{1}{2}##.
Mr Davis 97
I have the expression ##e^{\frac{1}{2} \log|2x-1|}##. I am tempted to just say that this is equal to ##\sqrt{2x-1}## and be done with it. However, I am not sure how to justify this, since it seems that then the domains of the two functions would be different, since the latter would be all real numbers while the former would be ##x \ge \frac{1}{2}##.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Was there something wrong with ##\sqrt{|2x-1|}##?

Orodruin said:
Was there something wrong with ##\sqrt{|2x-1|}##?
Well, I then need to take the derivative of the resulting expression, and I don't see how to take the derivative of ##\sqrt{|2x-1|}##

Split it into cases. Or set ##y = 2x -1## and differentiate ##\sqrt{\lvert y \rvert}## using the chain rule, remembering that ##\lvert y \rvert## is not differentiable when ##y = 0##

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, I then need to take the derivative of the resulting expression, and I don't see how to take the derivative of ##\sqrt{|2x-1|}##
Regardless of how you do things, your function will not be differentiable in x=1/2.

Related to Simplifying an exponential with a square root

What is an exponential with a square root?

An exponential with a square root is an expression where the variable is raised to a power that is also a fraction with a numerator of 1 and a denominator of 2. This is commonly written as x^(1/2) or √x.

Why is it important to simplify an exponential with a square root?

Simplifying an exponential with a square root can help make the expression easier to work with and understand. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different exponential expressions.

How do you simplify an exponential with a square root?

To simplify an exponential with a square root, you can use the exponent rules for radicals. If the exponent is a fraction, you can rewrite it as a radical and then apply the appropriate rules. For example, x^(1/2) can be rewritten as √x and then simplified further if needed.

What are some common mistakes when simplifying an exponential with a square root?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the exponent rules for radicals and trying to simplify the expression as a regular exponential. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the rules and getting the wrong simplified expression.

When is it not possible to simplify an exponential with a square root?

It is not possible to simplify an exponential with a square root when the exponent is a fraction with a denominator other than 2. In this case, the expression cannot be rewritten as a radical and the exponent rules for radicals cannot be applied.