Simplifying Algebraic Factoring: Identifying Patterns and Formulas

• Thread starter JoshHolloway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses an identity that has been shown to the speaker in another thread. The speaker asks how one can recognize that the left side of the equation can be factored into the form on the right, and if there is a formula or if it needs to be memorized. The expert summarizer explains the process of factoring and how it can lead to recognizing patterns, rather than just memorizing. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing gratitude.
JoshHolloway
In another thread someone showed me this identity:
[tex]1+x+y^{2}+xy^{2}=(1+x)(1+y^{2})[/tex]

How does one recognize that the Left side of this equation can be factored into the form on the right? Is there some formula, or do you just have to memorize these kind?

Physics news on Phys.org
JoshHolloway said:
In another thread someone showed me this identity:
[tex]1+x+y^{2}+xy^{2}=(1+x)(1+y^{2})[/tex]

How does one recognize that the Left side of this equation can be factored into the form on the right? Is there some formula, or do you just have to memorize these kind?
In the last two terms, you see a common factor y². Pulling it out would give:

1+x+y²(1+x)

Now you see the (1+x) twice, factoring it gives:

(1+x)(1+y²)

Sweet. Thanks a lot man. You have really brightend me day!

JoshHolloway said:
Sweet. Thanks a lot man. You have really brightend me day!
You're welcome :smile:

It is not as much about memorizing stuff, as it is about a willingness to play about with symbols (in a valid manner) to see what is "possible", or leads to simplifications.

Gradually, by doing this, you will develop a knack to recognize patterns like the given one at a glance.

Related to Simplifying Algebraic Factoring: Identifying Patterns and Formulas

What is simple algebraic factoring?

Simple algebraic factoring is a mathematical process where an algebraic expression is rewritten as the product of two or more simpler expressions. This is done by finding common factors among the terms in the expression and factoring them out.

Why is simple algebraic factoring important?

Simple algebraic factoring is important because it allows us to simplify complex algebraic expressions and solve equations more easily. It also helps us understand the relationship between different terms in an expression and identify common patterns.

What are the steps involved in simple algebraic factoring?

The first step in simple algebraic factoring is to identify the common factors among the terms in the expression. Then, these common factors are factored out using the distributive property. Finally, the remaining terms are combined to create the factored form of the expression.

What are some common types of simple algebraic factoring?

Some common types of simple algebraic factoring include factoring out a greatest common factor, factoring trinomials, and factoring the difference of squares.

How can I check if my factoring is correct?

You can check if your factoring is correct by multiplying the factored form of the expression back to its original form. If the result is the same as the original expression, then your factoring is correct. Additionally, you can also use the FOIL method to check your factoring for trinomials.