Simplifying a Fraction with Exponents

In summary, a fraction with exponents is a fraction where one or both of the numbers in the numerator and denominator are raised to a power. To simplify a fraction with exponents, you need to use the rules of exponents. A common mistake when simplifying fractions with exponents is forgetting to apply the rules correctly. It is possible to simplify a fraction with exponents if the exponents are different, but you will need to manipulate the exponents using the rules of exponents first. Simplifying a fraction with exponents is necessary when working with complex algebraic expressions or equations, and it can also make the fraction easier to understand and work with in certain situations.
paulmdrdo1
$\displaystyle\frac{-9b^2(a+3b)^{m+2}(2b-4c)^{2+m}}{4(3a+9b)^{2m+2}(b^2-2b^2)^{2-m}}$

my answer to this is

$\displaystyle-\left[\frac{2(b-2c)^2b}{9(a+3b)}\right]^m$

i used some factorization of some quantity to arrive to this answer. but I'm not sure how did that technique works.

for example in the quantity $(2b-4c)^{2+m}$ i factored out $2^{2+m}$ to that quantity to have $2^{2+m}(b-2c)^{2+m}$ but i don't know what theorem made this step valid can you tell me why this factorization works?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
for example in the quantity $(2b-4c)^{2+m}$ i factored out $2^{2+m}$ to that quantity to have $2^{2+m}(b-2c)^{2+m}$ but i don't know what theorem made this step valid can you tell me why this factorization works?
For this you are making use of the following property of exponents: for real numbers $a,$ $b,$ and $n,$ $(ab)^n = a^nb^n.$

So,
\begin{align*}
(2b-4c)^{2+m} &= \big[\color{red}{2}\color{blue}{(b - 2c)}\big]^{2 + m}\\
&= \color{red}{2}^{2 + m}\color{blue}{(b - 2c)}^{2 + m}.
\end{align*}

Related to Simplifying a Fraction with Exponents

What is a fraction with exponents?

A fraction with exponents is a fraction where one or both of the numbers in the numerator and denominator are raised to a power. This is indicated by a small number, called an exponent, written above and to the right of the number.

How do I simplify a fraction with exponents?

To simplify a fraction with exponents, you need to use the rules of exponents. If the exponent in the numerator and denominator are the same, you can cancel them out. If the exponent in the denominator is larger, you can move the number to the numerator and change the sign of the exponent. If the exponent in the numerator is larger, you can move the number to the denominator and change the sign of the exponent.

What is a common mistake when simplifying fractions with exponents?

A common mistake is forgetting to apply the rules of exponents correctly. For example, some people may mistakenly cancel out the entire exponent instead of just the common factor. It is important to carefully follow the rules to simplify fractions with exponents correctly.

Can I simplify a fraction with exponents if the exponents are different?

Yes, you can still simplify a fraction with exponents if the exponents are different. You will need to use the rules of exponents to manipulate the exponents so that they are the same before canceling them out.

When is it necessary to simplify a fraction with exponents?

Simplifying a fraction with exponents is necessary when working with complex algebraic expressions or equations. It can also make the fraction easier to understand and work with in certain situations, such as when comparing fractions or finding equivalent fractions.