Simplifying A Fraction That Can't Be Simplified

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to round a fraction or ratio that cannot be simplified to a smaller-numbered ratio. The suggested methods include using a calculator or spreadsheet to find possible denominators, trial and error, and using WolframAlpha to obtain Egyptian fractions. The best possible ratios with a three digit denominator, two digit denominator, and single digit denominator are also mentioned.
willgtl
So let me start off by saying I am horrible at math and always have been. Despite considering myself highly intelligent, I suck at math. It's what led me into computer programming instead of physics like I wanted.

Simply, I want to ask, say I have a fraction or a ratio that can't be simplified, say like 131,234:1,715, how would I go about rounding it to a smaller-numbered ratio that's more readily conceivable? It doesn't have to be an exact number, just a number that is close enough and small enough. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When plugged into a calculator, you get 76.5212827988.
So, you could use 765/100, then simplify further if you wish. (Edit... Oops... 765/10. Thanks SteamKing)

You could also try out possible denominators
and see which numerator suits your taste.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you! I was thinking that but didn't trust that I was on the right path.

With a spreadsheet, or even a programmable calculator, you can look for others just with trial and error. The best one with a three digit denominator is 73690/963, the best one with a two digit denominator is 7193/94, and the best one with a single digit denominator is 153/2.

robphy said:
When plugged into a calculator, you get 76.5212827988.
So, you could use 765/100, then simplify further if you wish.

You could also try out possible denominators
and see which numerator suits your taste.

Uhhh... 765 / 100 = 7.65, not 76.5 :eek:

Likes robphy
You can also use WolframAlpha to get what are called Egyptian fractions:

$$
\begin{align}
\frac{131234}{1715} &= 76 + \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{47} + \frac{1}{161210} \\
&\approx \frac{7193}{94}
\end{align}
$$
(keeping only the first two fractions).

Related to Simplifying A Fraction That Can't Be Simplified

1. How do I know if a fraction can't be simplified?

A fraction can't be simplified if the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1. In other words, the fraction is already in its simplest form.

2. What should I do if I can't simplify a fraction?

If you can't simplify a fraction, you can leave it as it is. It is possible that the fraction is already in its simplest form.

3. Can I use a calculator to simplify a fraction that can't be simplified?

Yes, you can use a calculator to simplify a fraction. However, if the fraction can't be simplified, the calculator will show the same fraction as the answer.

4. Is it possible to simplify a fraction with variables that can't be simplified?

Yes, it is possible to simplify a fraction with variables. However, if the variables have no common factors, the fraction can't be simplified.

5. Why is it important to simplify fractions?

Simplifying fractions helps to make them easier to work with and understand. It also helps to compare and perform operations on fractions, as well as reducing the chance of errors in calculations.