Simplify cofunction expression

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving csc(pi/2-x)/cos(x+pi/2) + cot(pi/2-x). The correct solution is -cot(x), which was confirmed by graphing the two curves. There was some confusion about how the problem was written, but it was determined that the original problem was likely copied correctly.
synergix

Homework Statement

csc(pi/2-x)/cos(x+pi/2) + cot(pi/2-x)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/cosx/-sinx + sinx/cosx

-1/sinxcosx+ sinx/cosx(sinx/sinx)

(sin2x - 1) / sinxcosx

-cos2x/sinxcosx

-cosx/sinx

-cotx

is this right the answer key says it is cosx but that could be wrong I have done this a couple times and gotten the same answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it can be the same as cosx because if you put x=0, it doesn't work.

synergix said:
csc(pi/2-x)/cos(x+pi/2) + cot(pi/2-x)
1/cosx/-sinx + sinx/cosx
I'm assuming you mean (1/cosx)/-sinx in the first fraction. Anyway, this is not correct.

(1)
cofunction%20identiies%20csc%20sec.gif

(2)cos(x+pi/2) = - sinx

(1)/(2)=

secx/-sinx=

(1/cosx)/-sinx

what is wrong about that?

Oops, sorry about that. I misread the problem. I redid the problem and now I'm getting -cot x. You sure you copied the problem correctly?

Well the way it is written is the csc cofunction is directly above the cos cofunction and then added to the cot cofunction. There isn't actually a line between the two. I am sure i am meant to divide the two but is there anything else that could mean. FYI my instructor is very smart but he is also somewhat absent minded and I am pretty sure he put together these practice assignments himself he could have made a mistake it wouldn't be the first time.

Assuming the original problem was copied correctly, I would say that you are correct; I get -cot(x) when I solve the problem. In addition I graphed the two curves as a check and they are the same...

Related to Simplify cofunction expression

What is a cofunction expression?

A cofunction expression is a mathematical expression that uses two complementary angles, such as sine and cosine, to simplify and solve for a given angle. It is based on the principle that the sine of an angle is equal to the cosine of its complementary angle, and vice versa.

How do I simplify a cofunction expression?

To simplify a cofunction expression, first identify the complementary angle of the given angle. Then, use the appropriate cofunction identity (e.g. sine and cosine, tangent and cotangent) to rewrite the expression in terms of the complementary angle. Finally, use trigonometric identities and basic algebraic rules to simplify the expression further.

Why is it important to simplify cofunction expressions?

Simplifying cofunction expressions can make solving trigonometric equations and applying trigonometric concepts much easier and more efficient. It can also help to see the relationship between complementary angles and enhance understanding of trigonometric functions.

Can I use cofunction identities to solve all trigonometric equations?

No, cofunction identities can only be applied to equations involving complementary angles. For example, they cannot be used to solve equations involving angles that are not complementary, such as 30 and 45 degrees.

Are there any tips for simplifying cofunction expressions?

Yes, some tips for simplifying cofunction expressions include: 1) memorizing the cofunction identities, 2) drawing a unit circle to visualize the relationship between complementary angles, 3) using the Pythagorean identities to simplify expressions involving squares, and 4) checking your work by plugging in values for the given angle and its complementary angle.